When I was cramming for a chemistry exam with a friend a while ago, she came over just before dinnertime. I knew I’d get hungry, so before she arrived, I quickly whipped up this chicken and veggie rice bowl to nibble on while we quizzed each other. After a little bit, her stomach began to rumble, so she looked over and asked me, “Where did you buy that?” She seemed shocked that I enjoyed making my own meals, and even more surprised that my dish tasted even better than what she had eaten in a restaurant for lunch!
Chicken and Rice Bowl
To cut down on prep time, I use frozen veggies, but fresh carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, corn, or snap peas would all taste even better. If using fresh, sauté them in a little olive oil after cooking the chicken. I also used instant rice because I don’t have a rice cooker, nor do I have the patience to wait for regular rice to cook once I get hungry!
½ c. dry instant brown rice
1 tbsp rice vinegar
½ tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp apricot preserves
1 tbsp water
¾ – 1 c. frozen veggie medley
1 chicken tenderloin, cut into ½-inch cubes
2-3 tsp olive oil
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Cook frozen veggies according to package directions.
- Combine rice vinegar through water in a small bowl, mixing well. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add chicken and sauté until cooked all the way through and it begins turning a golden brown. Reduce heat down to low and add sauce, stirring constantly.
- Once sauce begins to thicken, remove from heat and add veggies and rice. Stir until everything is coated. Pour into a bowl and serve hot.