Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast!

pumpkin pie pancakes

Last Friday morning, my internal alarm clock buzzed a little earlier than my electronic one, so I hopped out of my steamy shower with some extra time to spare. After the chilly weather that blew into town, my bones begged for a hot breakfast to warm them up. I nixed my usual bowl of oatmeal and reached for milk and flour instead.

Within 10 minutes, my skillet of pancakes filled the house with their toasty sweet aroma, encouraging my guy to stumble into the kitchen rubbing his eyes and ask for the leftovers. Since I only mixed up enough for me (he rarely wakes up before I leave in the mornings!), I promised him another batch over the weekend before riding off to work.

Because he balks at the slightest hint of pumpkin-flavored goods, I left his plain and stirred up a second batter for myself. Good thing too—he would’ve had to rip my arm off just to try a bite! With the exact flavor and texture of pumpkin pie, I savored every single bite. It was just like eating dessert for breakfast!

pumpkin pie pancakes

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

Yield: 1 serving

Serving Size: 6-7 (2\\\") pancakes

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

These taste exactly like pumpkin pie—flavor, texture, everything! Serve with powdered sugar or a dollop of whipped cream.

¼ c. pumpkin purée
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp water
? tsp vanilla
3 tbsp flour
¾ tsp sugar
1/8 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of salt

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, water, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients (flour through salt). Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until just incorporated.
  2. Lightly coat a nonstick pan with cooking spray, and preheat oven medium-low heat. Working with one tablespoon of batter per pancake, pour the batter into the pan in a circular shape. Cook for 2-3 min, or until the edges begin to firm up. Flip the pancake, and cook for another 1-2 min.

pumpkin pie pancakes

Comments

1. putneyfarm says on November 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm

This is perfect! We always like “dessert” for breakfast!

• foods for the soul says on November 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thank you! I’m a bit of a dessert-aholic, so I love transforming sweets into healthier breakfasts. What’s your favorite breakfast “dessert”?

• putneyfarm says on November 16, 2012 at 7:14 am

Ice cream and cake seem to pop up at times…also ice cream with home-made granola…

And lots of french toast and pancakes…

• foods for the soul says on November 16, 2012 at 8:11 am

Oh my, can I come live with you?? Yum! I think donuts and coffee cake would probably be on my list too… Anything sweet really!

2. mrswebbinthekitchen says on November 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Yumm-o! They actually look orange, like pumpkin pie! If you wanted to go crazy, you could top those with graham cracker crumbs… mmmm!

• foods for the soul says on November 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

That’s an amazing idea!! Gives me the perfect excuse to make these again. Just after I go to the store for graham crackers (or teddy grahams, they’re almost the same but even cuter!).

• mrswebbinthekitchen says on November 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

LOVE teddy grahams… especially the cinnamon ones!

• foods for the soul says on November 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Those are my favorite too! Closely followed by the honey ones, of course.

3. vinicooksveg says on November 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Wow! They look so delicious and beautiful. Just perfect!

• foods for the soul says on November 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Thank you! I’m glad no one else in the house enjoys pumpkin as much as I do; I really didn’t want to share!

4. Jeanette aka PJ Sassifras says on October 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm

These are going in my tummy this Sunday. I LOVE pancakes. I LOVE pumpkin. I LOVE you for creating a small batch recipe I can make and have a treat on Sunday mornings! I can’t wait. #cricketproject

• Amy says on October 17, 2013 at 12:41 am

Aww Jeanette, you are too sweet! I LOVE that you love pumpkin and pancakes just as much as me, and I LOVE that you’re enjoying my recipes!! :D I hope you enjoy them!