The 100-Mile Miracle

baked glazed donuts

A very suspicious package appeared under the tree on Christmas Eve. To every other family member, it resembled an unremarkable square box, but my Santa-senses started tingling when I spied my name on the gift tag.

baked glazed donuts

Two days prior, my guy had asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I replied, “I already gave you a hint a week ago!”

“Umm… You did?”

“Yep! There’s evidence on your cell phone.” When faced with a blank stare, I added, “Picture evidence.”

“Ohh….”

baked glazed donuts

He left the room, began charging his cell, and grabbed his car keys a few minutes later. After 2 hours, he reported back that the local Walmart, Target, and Kohl’s were all out of that particular merchandise. Well so much for Christmas surprises…

But when he added both a red gift bag and that wrapped box to the present pile under the tree, my eyes lit up, and I tore into the tissue paper on Christmas morning. Inside was an electric donut maker from a Target 100 miles away!

Isn’t he just the sweetest guy??

baked glazed donuts

Baked Glazed Donuts

Yield: 10 mini donuts

Serving Size: 2 mini donuts

Baked Glazed Donuts

based on this recipe

These are perfect for breakfast, a mid-afternoon snack, or even dessert! If for some strange reason you have leftovers, they’ll keep in an airtight container for a few days.

for the donuts
1 tsp vegetable oil

for the glaze
¼ c. powdered sugar
1 tsp water
1/8 tsp almond extract
2-3 tbsp colored sprinkles

1. To prepare the donuts, either heat up an electric donut maker OR preheat the oven to 325° and lightly coat a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg). In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and oil. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir just until incorporated.
  3. If using the electric donut maker, lightly mist the surfaces with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each donut cup, close the lid, and cook for 5-6 min or until light golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter.
  4. If using the oven, evenly distribute the batter between the prepared donut cups, and bake at 325° for 8-10 min or until light golden brown. Cool in the pan for 2-3 min before turning out onto the wire rack to continue cooling.
  5. To prepare the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, water, and almond extract. Dip the top of each donut into the glaze, and decorate with the sprinkles.

baked glazed donuts

Comments

1. mrswebbinthekitchen says on December 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Yay! You got it!!

• foods for the soul says on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I did!!! I’ve already made donuts twice now, and I have a new recipe I want to try for my mom… Maybe tonight or next week! :]

• mrswebbinthekitchen says on December 28, 2012 at 5:05 pm

So funny about your guy reporting back on the status, by the way… sounds like my dad. Never able to keep a secret!

• foods for the soul says on December 28, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I know!! Even though I have a VERY good idea of what you’re getting me for Christmas, I’d still like to be somewhat surprised that you actually got my hint and bought it! :P

• mrswebbinthekitchen says on December 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Men… Can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em!

• foods for the soul says on December 28, 2012 at 5:12 pm

It’s not exactly a love/hate relationship, more of a love/whack-over-the-head-with-a-cutting-board type thing. ;]

2. xoxbekxox says on December 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Aww you snagged a good one ;)

• foods for the soul says on December 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks!! I think so too. :] (And I fed him donuts, so he isn’t complaining!)

3. Liz says on December 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

my daughter got one, too! We made the chocolate donuts (recipe in the manual) and next time I’d add a pinch of salt and double or at least 1 1/2 the vanilla. Check out donuts out on the Tuesday post of my biz page: https://www.facebook.com/deLiziousFoodCommunications
    Your guy is absolutely and definitely sweet–and lucky to have you in his life!

• foods for the soul says on December 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Mmm they look delicious! My machine actually didn’t come with a manual (I’m guessing someone opened up the box in the store), but I was happy with this recipe I tried. Chocolate donuts are definitely on my “To Try Soon” list!

4. Aarthi says on December 30, 2012 at 8:21 am

Yay!! A donut maker…the donuts look delicious :)

• foods for the soul says on December 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank you! They definitely were; I made them two mornings in a row just to satisfy my hungry family!

5. Brittany says on December 30, 2012 at 8:39 am

You have a keeper!! I love that he went 100mi away to get you this!! The donuts look amazing.

• foods for the soul says on December 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thank you! I couldn’t believe it; I would’ve given up and gone with Plan B if no stores in the neighboring cities had the gift I originally wanted to buy… But from what I’ve read, you have an amazing Manfriend too!

6. Niki's Sweet Side says on December 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

OMG what a cute story! He’s a keeper! I don’t have a donut maker, how do you like it? I usually just bake mine in a donut pan. I know I know, but they come out pretty amazing! I was planning on doing a post about donuts this past weekend, but I chose the vanilla crepes instead. Maybe next weekend! :)

• foods for the soul says on December 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks! I think he is too. :] I absolutely love my new donut maker! I had flip flopped between the donut pan and the donut maker, but I thought that the donuts from the maker looked a little bit rounder and more symmetric in the photos… That’s the main reason I chose it! (Even though taste really does matter more than appearance.)

The machine really easy to use and only takes about 6 minutes to cook the donuts all the way through. The downside is that you need to bake the donuts in batches because it only has space for 5 small-ish donuts at a time. But it’s just like a waffle maker in that regard.

Loved your crêpe story too!

• Niki's Sweet Side says on January 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Fabulous! I may just have to look into purchasing one now :) Thanks for the info and I look forward to more of your posts in 2013, Happy New Year!! :)

• foods for the soul says on January 2, 2013 at 1:08 pm

It’ll be worth it, I promise! Happy New Year to you too!

7. willandmegan says on January 2, 2013 at 9:42 pm

[Finishes reading article, cries about not having a donut maker]

• foods for the soul says on January 2, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I’d share mine if I could!! I’m not sure I have a long enough extension cord at the moment…

8. Nerd With Taste says on January 4, 2013 at 2:35 am

Yummy donuts! They look amazing! And what better way to win a heart then sending electronic donuts!!! nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com

• foods for the soul says on January 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you! I know, who would’ve guessed that an electric machine would make a girl so happy? Guess the secret’s out!

9. daisyandthefox says on January 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm

doughnut maker! that’s the best :)
    and they look super yummy!
    great photography too – and a lovely blog you have!

• foods for the soul says on January 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Thank you! I had a wonderful time playing with it. I’m hoping to try a chocolate recipe next, so stay tuned!

And thank you for the sweet compliments too. You’re such a kind person to take the time to comment on so many of my posts!

• daisyandthefox says on January 14, 2013 at 2:11 am

will do! :)
        no worries at all! – it’s such a wonderful blog!! :D

• foods for the soul says on January 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

Aww you’ve made my day with another compliment; thank you! :]

10. Laura Dembowski (@piesandplots) says on February 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I love the story of getting this donut maker! Soooo sweet! The donuts themselves look great too :)

• foods for the soul says on February 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thank you! I think the story makes the donuts taste even better. And since we made them two days in a row (and ate every last one), that just might be true! ;]

11. Teresa says on February 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I had no luck at all with these. I used the ingredients listed and followed the recipe exactly, but had to add more milk to even get the dry ingredients to somewhat blend in. The dough is very stiff and the donuts are like bumpy rocks. I am a seasoned cook and have never had an issue with a recipe. Are you sure the ingredient amounts are correct?

• foods for the soul says on February 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Oh no!! I’m so sorry. Those are the correct ingredients, but it may have to do with how you measure the flour. I failed to explain that I usually spoon the flour into the measuring cup and swipe a knife across the top. If you scoop the flour into the measuring cup and pack it down instead, you’ll end up with more flour than the recipe actually called for, which could explain why you needed more milk. If that’s not the case, then I’ll keep thinking of why your donuts didn’t turn out so well. I’d bake a batch and give them to you if I could!!