The Farkle Risk

fluffy herbal tea pancakes

While waiting for the ball to drop on New Year’s Eve, we watched four five reruns of Big Bang Theory, ate leftover Oreo Dream cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory, and played Farkle. Despite my staunch chocolate and cookie addictions, the last part was actually the highlight of the night!

fluffy herbal tea pancakes

My brother opened Farkle as a Christmas present, and we began rattling and rolling the dice that night. Similar to Yahtzee, it’s mainly luck with just a hint of skill. In a nutshell, 1’s and 5’s are worth points, as are both straights and three- and four-of-a-kinds. But fail to roll any of those, and you lose everything that round—you Farkle!

fluffy herbal tea pancakes

It’s a game of chance and risk, and I couldn’t shake that out of my mindset when I awoke on January 1st. So I took a little risk in the kitchen: instead of drinking my tea, I poured it into my pancake batter. And I definitely didn’t Farkle with that breakfast!

fluffy herbal tea pancakes

Fluffy Herbal Tea Pancakes

Yield: about 8 pancakes

Serving Size: 4 pancakes

Fluffy Herbal Tea Pancakes

This recipe is easy halved or doubled! Be sure to steep the tea for the entire time, if not longer, for a fully infused tea taste.

½ c. water
1 herbal tea bag (such as Good Earth Original)
½ c. all-purpose flour (or half wheat and half white)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp Ener-G

1. Boil the water, either on the stove or pop in the microwave for 1 min. Add the tea bag and let it steep for at least 15 min.
  2. While the tea steeps, whisk together the remaining ingredients (flour through Ener-G) in a medium bowl. Add the tea, and stir just until incorporated.
  3. Preheat the pan lightly coated with nonstick spray over medium-low heat. For each pancake, spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter onto the pan, and cook for 2-3 min, or until the edges begin to cook and bubbles form on the top. Flip the pancake and continue cooking for 1-2 more min, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Note: 1 egg white can be substituted for the Ener-G, but decrease the water to about 1/3 cup.

fluffy herbal tea pancakes

Comments

1. Liz says on January 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

What an awesome idea:-) Last year was our Farkle New Year’s (meaning we played it all night long–not that we lost everything because of a risk taken;-)). Addictive for sure. Bet your pancakes are, too.

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Farkle IS addictive! Even though I’ve now lost 6 games in a row… Rematch tonight though!

And thank you! My picky eater even ate an entire serving — plus one of mine. Guess I’ll need to make more next time!

2. virginiaplantation says on January 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm

This looks so good! We are going to have to add it to our recipes for the plantation! Thank you for sharing!

Michelle
    Belle Grove Plantation Bed and Breakfast

3. jgann22 says on January 3, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Thank you for stopping by my page and supporting. I hope you stay tuned in. As will I :)

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm

My pleasure, I enjoyed reading your recipe!

• jgann22 says on January 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

And I enjoy your whole blog ! I like trying new foods. So, when I try something of yours ( near future ) I will let you know :)

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear what you try and your thoughts on it.

• jgann22 says on January 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm

:) I followed you so I can keep up with you ! I don’t want to miss a thing !

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Aww thank you, you’re too sweet! I hope I can keep your eyes and stomach satisfied!

• jgann22 says on January 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I don’t think you will have a problem with that :)

4. zoeycuddly1060 says on January 3, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Looks delecious!! Make me some lol
    .ill keep tuned in you can also follow me at my blog too @
    therightwaytomakemoney.WordPress.com

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I’d love to make you some! I’m just not sure how to keep them warm while shipping them in the mail… :]

• zoeycuddly1060 says on January 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I can warm them up :)

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Good plan. I’ll put them in two Ziploc baggies so they don’t go stale!

• zoeycuddly1060 says on January 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Lol Thank you I will keep in touch with you and don’t forget to like and follow my page! :p Oh yeah don’t forget those Farkle Risks :)

5. Anne says on January 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm

How interesting! I never would have thought to flavor up pancake using tea. Thanks for sharing.

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm

My pleasure! If any eaters are a bit hesitant, it’s possible to steep the tea for a little shorter so less of the flavor is imparted into the pancakes. I liked it when I could taste the cinnamon from the tea though!

6. chyina says on January 3, 2013 at 10:32 pm

This sounds awesome! Plus I had forgotten about Farkle! I haven’t played that in years! I may have to get both going in my little abode soon. Peace, Chyina

• foods for the soul says on January 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I wish I had discovered Farkle sooner! Although I lost our game again tonight, so maybe not… (I’ve lost 8 games in a row; I must have the strategy all wrong!) I hope you enjoy the pancakes, and have fun with Farkle!

• Chyina says on January 4, 2013 at 7:15 am

Yeah I remember I use to lose a lot at the game too. :P I think I was too greedy. I’d get a streak going of four or five rolls and wouldn’t stop, lol. That eventually bit me in the bum.

• foods for the soul says on January 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

I know! I rolled three pairs just to Farkle in the next roll… 1500 points gone! I’d be awful at poker too!

• Chyina says on January 4, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Lol, yep that sounds very familiar. :)

• foods for the soul says on January 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Sigh… If only I knew the proper strategy!

• Chyina says on January 5, 2013 at 5:01 am

This is one strategy, though I was never very good at following it, lol.

If you have 4 or more non-scoring dice then roll.
            If you have 3 or less non-scoring dice, take your points and move on. ;)

• foods for the soul says on January 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm

That must be my problem… I take the risk with the 3 non-scoring dice and re-roll them! Then again, my guy will roll just 1 non-scoring die and normally get a 1 or a 5. How does he do it??

• Chyina says on January 6, 2013 at 2:15 am

Loaded dice? Lol. I’d be keeping a close eye on him. ;)

• foods for the soul says on January 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I think they’re magical… We use the same dice, they just always work for him and not me!!

• Chyina says on January 6, 2013 at 11:48 pm

In that case I’d start kissing up to the dice. Tell them you’ll give them a good polish and a prominent spot on the mantle if they let you win. ;)

• foods for the soul says on January 7, 2013 at 9:01 am

Good idea! And maybe if I promise not to rattle them around the jar too much on my turns, they’ll like me better too.

• Chyina says on January 7, 2013 at 9:11 am

Lol, now you’re catching on! :D

• foods for the soul says on January 7, 2013 at 9:18 am

Slowly and surely, just like the tortoise! ;]

• Chyina says on January 7, 2013 at 9:31 am

Just remember the tortoise won in the end. ;)

• foods for the soul says on January 7, 2013 at 9:38 am

How I love fables and fairy tales!

• Chyina says on January 8, 2013 at 1:55 am

They are quite charming, cute, and often right.

• foods for the soul says on January 8, 2013 at 10:12 am

Even if I don’t always want to heed the moral at the end…

• Chyina says on January 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Most of us don’t despite the fact we know we should, lol

• foods for the soul says on January 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

So true!

• Chyina says on January 13, 2013 at 9:42 pm

:D

7. xoxbekxox says on January 4, 2013 at 12:16 am

Haha risk taker! A great start to 2013 :) Not sure this would be my cup of tea (haha pun intended) since I don’t really like tea.

• foods for the soul says on January 4, 2013 at 11:17 am

You’ve got me laughing — I love puns! :] I’m not the biggest fan of tea either, which is why I went with an herbal tea. It mainly tastes of cinnamon and nutmeg — no actual tea involved!

8. Brittany says on January 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I loveee the idea of tea pancakes!! That sounds delicious. Fluffy..yummm.

• foods for the soul says on January 4, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Thanks!! I couldn’t believe how puffy they turned out, even without milk (or real eggs). Oh the power of baking powder!

9. Sasha says on January 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

Looks cool! Tea infused things intimidate me so kudos to you ;)

• foods for the soul says on January 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thanks! It was my first attempt, so I picked something easier than cake or frosting. (Shh, don’t tell! :]) But they turned out so well that I may try adding tea to other baked goods too!

10. emilis95 says on January 6, 2013 at 4:42 am

Looks so yummy!! I have now answered your question about the apple chips, under your comment on my blog! :D
    Hugs

• foods for the soul says on January 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, we really enjoyed them! They may make permanent appearances on our weekend brunch menus… And thanks for the helpful tip on your post too!

11. Aarthi says on January 6, 2013 at 8:36 am

I have never played Farkle before…and the name sounds kinda cute! :) Can I find Ener G in any of the regular grocery stores??

• foods for the soul says on January 6, 2013 at 1:51 pm

It does sound cute, and it’s fun to say too! I’ve found Ener-G in Whole Foods Markets and other grocery stores with a bit more “exotic” ingredients. My local Safeway doesn’t carry it, but since it’s a teeny tiny store, a larger Safeway might. I’m not sure about Albertson’s, Target, or Walmart.

It should be fairly cheap, around $6 or $7 for the box. Each box contains the equivalent of 110+ eggs, so it’s really quite a bargain!

• Aarthi says on January 7, 2013 at 7:24 am

Oh thanks for the info! I do have a Whole Foods nearby and should definitely check it out…my mom prefers her cakes without eggs and I will definitely look into this when I bake for her :)

• foods for the soul says on January 7, 2013 at 7:35 am

You’re welcome!! My grandma can’t have eggs, so I introduced her to Ener-G so she could still eat baked goods. Works really well!

12. Magnolia says on January 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Tea pancakes. Who knew! Those look delicious and combine two of my favorite things! I’ll have to try these sometime.

• foods for the soul says on January 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Thank you! I was really excited that they turned out so well. (And even more excited that my guy, a super picky eater, ate them all!)

13. SE says on January 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

Love the Farkle! Played it just last Saturday night. It’s funny how it’s such a ‘folk’ game and the scoring variations.
    Can’t wait to make these scrumptious pancakes, too! Thanks for visiting me, too!

• foods for the soul says on January 16, 2013 at 11:58 am

I agree! I found one source that said three 1′s counted as 300 points, and another cited that they were worth 1,000! Guess which one I went with…

Hope you enjoy them! And my pleasure. :]

14. leanbackmama says on January 23, 2013 at 5:56 am

Wowwww These sound Delicious. I will hold on to the recipe and make them after I’ve lost 10 lbs lol..I’m a sucker for sweets..and I’d probably eat the whole batch right now lol

• foods for the soul says on January 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

These are totally diet-friendly! It’s really easy to halve the recipe, and each serving is only 120 calories! No need to wait. ;]