Sweet and Sneaky Ways to Eat Your Veggies: Beets

aka “And The Beet Goes On…”

fudgy beet brownies

I saved the best for last!

I thought beets were weird. Sure, they looked sweet and innocent from far away, but as soon as I mixed them into my salad, they turned my feta cheese hot pink. Hot pink. Strangely, I don’t find neon-colored dairy products very appetizing…

So while my mom swore by them, I picked those pesky beets out of my food.

fudgy beet brownies

Until I started reading about cutting-edge chefs adding them to baked goods. After coming across 27 recipes for chocolate and beet treats, I wondered why I hadn’t thought of something like that before…

fudgy beet brownies

I’ll tell you why: Because these brownies are SO addicting. They’re dense, moist, rich, and fudgy — everything a brownie should be! And with the hidden veggies inside, I felt absolutely no guilt eating two three five the day I pulled them out of the oven.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

fudgy beet brownies

Fudgy Beet Brownies

Yield: 16 brownies

Serving Size: 1 brownie

Fudgy Beet Brownies

modified from the Eggless Cooking recipe

If you can wait, these turn fudgier and taste even better once they’re completely cooled — and twice as good the next day!

¾ oat flour (see Note)
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ c. dark chocolate chips
1 (15 oz) can sliced beets, drained and puréed
½ c. brown sugar, packed
¼ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp soft margarine or shortening
1½ tsp plain nonfat yogurt
¼ c. unsweetened applesauce (or 1½ tsp Ener-G + 2 tbsp water –OR– 1 egg white)
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350° and lightly coat an 8” square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Add the chocolate chips to a separate microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 20-sec intervals, stirring after each, until the chocolate melts (about 1 to 1½ min). Stir in the beet purée and next 6 ingredients (through vanilla), mixing thoroughly. Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 350° for 35-40 min or until firm. Cool completely before slicing into squares.

Note: Oat flour is easy to make! For this recipe, just add a heaping ¾ cup of old-fashioned oats into a food processor or blender, and pulse until they turn into a fine powder.

Other Sweet and Sneaky Veggie Treats:

carrot cake oatmeal

caramelized onion breakfast muffins

pumpkin custards

fudgy beet brownies

Comments

1. IRENA & dots says on January 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

I wouldn’t mine have one… or two… ;)

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I’d give you at least four! I can never stop at one… Then again, I have no self-restraint when it comes to chocolate!

• IRENA & dots says on January 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm

You are too kind ;) I feel the same about chocolate :)

2. mrswebbinthekitchen says on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 am

YESSS!! I love beets… why have I not eaten any yet this year? I believe they are in or coming into season… you’ve just given me my first beet recipe! Never in a million years would I have thought to put them in brownies, but sounds awesome!

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Probably because you’ve been so busy baking and decorating addicting cookies and cakes? ;] How do you normally eat your beets?

I hope you enjoy the brownies! I’m already halfway through my second pan…

• mrswebbinthekitchen says on January 30, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Haha, that’s probably true! I usually roast them with the attempt of putting them into a salad or something, but end up eating them on their own because they get so sweet and wonderful! Try it!

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Does roasting bring out their sweetness? The few times I’ve eaten beets, they haven’t had much of any flavor at all…

• mrswebbinthekitchen says on January 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm

YES! I’ll do a post soon on how to love beets. You’ve inspired me!

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Great, I’m really excited for it! Maybe one of your Monday Munchies??

• mrswebbinthekitchen says on January 31, 2013 at 10:11 am

That’s what I was thinking!

• foods for the soul says on January 31, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I’ll keep an eye out! ;]

3. mlwilkie says on January 30, 2013 at 11:55 am

Love beets and they are great in chocolate cake, they make it so moist…hmmm – now I am hungry.

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I haven’t eaten beets in chocolate cake before, but if these brownies were any indication… The cake must be to die for!

4. Liz says on January 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

have never been a beet fan (well, not since I ate a very large amount as a little girl and got sick), but will take this as a personal challenge;-) I recently “inherited” a can of beets and now I know why!

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Perfect timing! ;] You can’t taste the beets in these brownies, so they’re worth trying even if you still don’t like beets. They just add moisture and fudginess without lots of extra butter… So they’re really healthy AND really addicting!

5. paprik4te says on January 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Beets in a dessert? Definitely sounds interesting!
    Beets are typically one of those vegetables that I steer clear of!

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Me too! I used to avoid beets as well. The one or two times I tried them previously, they were kind of slimy and not very flavorful… But that was at a salad bar, so there’s bound to be better beets out there!

You can’t taste the beets in these brownies, so even if you’re still steering clear of the veggie, it’s worth baking a batch of brownies! They’ll disappear really fast. Nobody could taste the beets before I spilled the secret!

6. crumbcoatedlife says on January 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Yay! Beets and chocolate…this a surprisingly awesome combination. So glad you posted this.

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Thank you! I was so surprised and happy with the way they turned out. I made them last week, and it was really hard to save the post until today!

7. mumstech says on January 30, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Guess what will be going into ds’s lunchbox soon….? Beet Brownies…! I just have to find those canned beets around here.

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Better pack two; that’s how many I eat every time and I’m a pretty small person! Although I did polish off three after dinner tonight so… Two might not be enough for him either. ;] I’m excited to hear what you and he both think of the brownies!

• mumstech says on January 30, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Will let you know the moment I find those beets and get baking!

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Wonderful, thank you!! :] (And don’t forget, they turn even fudgier if you store them overnight before eating… Adds to the addiction factor!)

• mumstech says on January 30, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Grrreeat… if one has to be addicted, one might as well be addicted to something healthy… ;) not sure if I can let it rest for one night tho…hmmm, might have to lock the fridge up.

• foods for the soul says on January 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm

So true! And dark chocolate is practically a vegetable too, right?? ;] I cut into the brownies while they were still warm, and the fudginess just wasn’t there. They’ll be much better if you wait until they’ve cooled all the way to room temperature, and the I promise the wait will be worth it! Maybe stick them on top of the fridge or a really high shelf in the pantry where you can’t see them? That’s my trick!

8. everythingfoody says on January 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm

You werent lying!! This has got me veryveryvery excited! What an interesting recipe :D I adore beetroot, looks like they lended their beautiful colour to these brownies too, they are almost crimson. Lovely post, thankyou very much :)

• foods for the soul says on January 31, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’m glad I could live up to your expectations! :] The brownies didn’t look quite so brown as regular ones in person, but with the lighting in the photos, they look slightly redder. Still, no one guessed that there were beets inside these fudgy little beauties!

• everythingfoody says on February 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

Lovely stuff! Really wanna try this, they look so nice! :( Damn your baking skills!

• foods for the soul says on February 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Thanks! I’m warning you, they’re highly addictive if you do try them… ;] I’ve gone through two entire pans all by myself!

9. meganhcarroll says on January 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I love beets… I have yet to put them in my baking… when i get adventurous I will try this! Cheers and thanks for stopping by my blog.

• foods for the soul says on January 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I was a bit nervous at first that the brownies would taste more like a salad than dessert, but you couldn’t even taste the beets! They just added a lot of moisture (and fudginess) without any fat. Hope you enjoy the brownies in the future!

10. teeceecounsel says on February 1, 2013 at 2:30 am

Interesting! Looks appetizing too! :)

11. BekAtCrave says on February 1, 2013 at 4:22 am

I just can’t enjoy the flavour of beetroot unfortunately…unless beets and beetroot are different things? I assumed they were the same, since they look the same but by a diff name.

• foods for the soul says on February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

I think beets and beetroot are the same thing. Just a guess… But you can’t even taste the beets in these brownies!! They just add moisture and fudginess without any extra butter or other fats. They’re really worth a shot, if you’re feeling adventurous! :]

12. Brittany says on February 1, 2013 at 9:35 am

I MUST try this recipe!! I have made bean brownies, and zucchini brownies, but BEET brownies sound the best by far. I LOVE beets, and I actually love the color it turns my food, but can see why you wouldn’t! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. I will GLADLY eat five in one day!

• foods for the soul says on February 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’ve made black bean brownies too (not yet on the zucchini though), and these beet ones are even better! I don’t mind beets turning the lettuce and other veggies pink, but brightly colored cheese makes me think it’s moldy… I’m excited to hear what you think!!

13. sundaysupperswithpippa says on February 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

These look fudgy and healthy! A perfect combo.

• foods for the soul says on February 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

I agree!! I don’t feel guilty at all indulging in this chocolatey dessert. And eating three can’t be all that bad if I’m getting a serving of beets, right? ;]

14. makeitfun4thumbs says on February 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Reblogged this on makeitfun4thumbs's Blog.

15. Wisdom for Mom says on February 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm

This sounds more tasty than brownies I once made with black beans a.k.a “Beanie Brownies.” Love all your ideas!

• foods for the soul says on February 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Thank you! I have loads fun thinking of new things to bake. :]

I made those black bean brownies too, but I made the terrible mistake of tasting the batter before I poured it into the pan to bake… The bean taste bakes off, but the brownie batter still reminded me of some sort of savory Mexican soup!

16. Becca C. says on February 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

This looks like such a yummy recipe. Do you think I could switch out the sugar for something else? And the yogurt? =)

• foods for the soul says on February 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Thank you! You could probably use non-dairy yogurt or extra applesauce instead of the plain yogurt. The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of margarine, but I substituted 1 1/2 teaspoons of yogurt for half of the margarine to make it healthier!

As for the brown sugar, you could probably use white instead, but I haven’t tried it yet with Splenda or Truvia or other sugar substitutes. Hope that helps!

17. Lauren Houmes says on February 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I made these beet brownies for my college cross country Super Bowl party. Eating healthy is part of our sport but we also enjoy dessert and these brownies made our dessert healthy and spectacularly delicious! I think I like beets now! Also we switched out Greek yogurt for the regular stuff and coconut oil for the margarine.

• foods for the soul says on February 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I’m so happy to hear that!! I’m with you, I think that desserts can still be part of a healthy diet. And I just couldn’t give them up!

Thank you for telling me about your substitutions as well; it’s great to know that it’s possible to cater to other diets and tastes too!

18. Dinner of Herbs says on February 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Not sure if I am brave enough to try this…I hate beets with a passion. However, the pictures and your description are a bit persuasive. I just might have to risk it. :-)

• foods for the soul says on February 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm

You can’t taste the beets in the brownies at all! They just make the brownies really moist and fudgy without lots of extra butter or margarine. I didn’t really care much for beets either, but I finished off two entire pans of these all by myself! (Oops? :]) If you do try the recipe, I hope you like them!

19. lindsay says on April 18, 2013 at 2:29 am

do you think you could you use a fresh beet instead of canned?

• foods for the soul says on April 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

I think so! I went with canned since beets weren’t in season, but it’d be fun to try fresh!

20. Cecilia says on April 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Alright I tried these, and kept them in the oven for the full 40 minutes, and they seemed firm when I took them out, but when I cut them into squares, they were pink inside and I could easily taste the beets…which was not very good…
    Any suggestions?

• foods for the soul says on April 23, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Oh no, I’m sorry they didn’t turn out the way you wanted! What kind of chocolate chips did you use? And did you make sure to drain all of the beet juice? I’ll keep thinking of other things that could explain your results too.

• Cecilia says on April 23, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Right, I should’ve mentioned, I used fresh beets, I used a pound, boiled and puréed them myself with my food processor. And instead of chocolate chips, I used 3 one ounce squares of bittersweet chocolate.

• foods for the soul says on April 23, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Bittersweet chocolate doesn’t have quite as strong of a chocolate flavor as dark does, so that might contribute to the more prominent beet flavor. I haven’t tried this recipe with fresh beets, so I’m not sure if the canning process would take out some of the “beet-y” flavor too. I’m really sorry your brownies didn’t meet your expectations!

• Cecilia says on April 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I see what you mean, but I do want to try these again. Do you think maybe adding more unsweetened cocoa powder would help? Or using less beets? Like half a pound maybe? I actually have another pound that I puréed already and froze to try these again, just need to buy more vanilla extract and I’m good to go.

Oh and hey, don’t apologize, it’s not your fault, haha I can never follow a recipe word for word :P

• foods for the soul says on April 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I’m so excited that you want to try again! Most people (including me, on occasion) just throw in the towel instead and move on. :]

Yes, more cocoa powder could help! Maybe a few tablespoons, but you may also want to consider adding a little extra liquid if the batter looks dry. And for the beet purée, mine measured out to be 1 cup. I’m not quite sure what that equates to in pounds, but hopefully you have a clean measuring cup handy? ;]

• Cecilia says on April 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I’m thinking maybe I didn’t drain them right before pureeing too. I did it lightly so that all the water from boiling was gone but that was all.

• foods for the soul says on April 23, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I believe I rinsed mine before puréeing, so it’s worth a shot!

21. Cecilia says on April 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

OMG the one cup measurement is helpful!! I’m pretty sure mine was way more than that!!! Definitely sticking to that for next time!!!

• foods for the soul says on April 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Hooray!! I’m so glad we figured it out. I can’t wait to hear how the second batch goes! :]

22. Medeja says on May 6, 2013 at 2:23 am

These brownies are really tempting! I must try them.

• foods for the soul says on May 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

I hope you enjoy them! I’d highly suggest waiting a few hours after they cool before trying one. Their fudginess increases the longer you let them sit!

23. Amy says on March 19, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Just to verify (because I don’t like beets) these brownies taste nothing like beets. Right?

• Amy says on March 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm

If you positively hate beets, you may be able to detect a slight beet-like undertone. Most of my taste testers could not, but they didn’t know there were beets inside! If you’re looking for another healthy brownie option without beets, I’d recommend my fudgy whole wheat brownies instead.

24. Mary Katherine says on June 17, 2014 at 9:06 am

Do you know the calorie count per brownie?

• Amy says on June 17, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I just added the Nutrition Information link beneath the recipe. Hope that helps Mary Katherine! :)

25. Bea says on July 11, 2014 at 9:15 am

I am doubling the recipe and don’t have enough beets, do you have any suggestions for a substitute for the other half of beet amount or will they still turn out fine if I use what I have.

• Amy says on July 11, 2014 at 9:53 am

I haven’t tried it myself, but using applesauce to replace the remaining beets would probably work, or possibly part applesauce and part yogurt. You’ll definitely need something since the beets provide so much moisture to the brownies. I’m excited to hear what you try and how it turns out for you Bea! :)

• Bea says on July 11, 2014 at 10:49 am

Thank you. I used a puréed apple. The brownies are still warm, but we did taste them. They have good flavour but are at this point a bit more like a cake than brownie. So not chewy but very moist and kinda fluffy. I prefer the chewy kind but my son liked it. I don’t know if my substitution created this texture or is that how it’s supposed to be. Thanks agin for a quick reply.

• Amy says on July 11, 2014 at 11:14 am

My pleasure Bea! The longer you let the brownies cool and set, the fudgier they’ll be. If you slice them while warm, they’ll be cakier, but if you let them sit 6-8 hours (or overnight), they’ll turn chewier and fudgier. Store the cooled sliced brownies in an airtight container, and that should help too!