Pink is For…

pretty pink donuts

There must have been something in the water last year… Two weeks ago, the stork dropped off a bundle of joy to two different ladies at work! My boss and his wife received the little girl, and I was so tempted to decorate their doors with bright pink balloons and crêpe paper…

But that didn’t quite seem appropriate for our drab hallways and professional environment. (Probably a safety and productivity hazard too, with all of the attention it would attract!) So I settled on making them celebratory treats instead.

pretty pink donuts

Boss and his wife usually bring in bagels or donuts on Saturdays for the weekend workaholics, so it only seemed fitting to bake them their own batch of donuts. And of course, with their little baby girl, the donuts had to be pink!

(They’re perfect for Valentine’s Day too!)

pretty pink donuts

Pretty Pink Donuts

Yield: 10 mini donuts

Serving Size: 2 mini donuts

Pretty Pink Donuts

based on this recipe

These are perfect for breakfast, a mid-afternoon snack, or even dessert! If for some strange reason you have leftovers, they’ll keep in an airtight container for a few days.

for the donuts
1 c. flour
¼ c. + 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg (or 1½ tsp Ener-G + 2 tbsp water)
¼ c. + 2 tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla
1 tsp vegetable oil
¼ tsp red food coloring

for the glaze
¼ c. powdered sugar
1 tsp water
1/8 tsp almond extract
2-3 tbsp round pink sprinkles

1. To prepare the donuts, either heat up an electric donut maker OR preheat the oven to 325° and lightly coat a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg). In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, oil, and food coloring. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir just until incorporated.
  3. If using the electric donut maker, lightly mist the surfaces with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each donut cup, close the lid, and cook for 5-6 min or until light golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter.
  4. If using the oven, evenly distribute the batter between the prepared donut cups, and bake at 325° for 8-10 min or until light golden brown. Cool in the pan for 2-3 min before turning out onto the wire rack to continue cooling.
  5. To prepare the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, water, and almond extract. Dip the top of each donut into the glaze, and decorate with the sprinkles.

pretty pink donuts

Comments

1. happyjoyousnfree says on February 6, 2013 at 11:31 am

Those look amazing! Any way to do it without a donut maker/pan?

• foods for the soul says on February 6, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thank you! You could probably bake the batter in a mini muffin pan to make donut holes. My guess would be 350° for 10-14 minutes, but I’m not positive because I haven’t tried yet! You couldn’t fry them very well because the recipe makes a batter instead of a dough.

Hope that helps!

• snati001 says on February 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

So cute! Very nice of you to share these doughnuts with them!
      I made baked doughnuts without a doughnut pan by using a muffin tin and putting in a roll of greased baking paper in the center of each tin (secured on with a dab of batter on the tin so the roll doesn’t tip over). Then pipe the batter into the makeshift doughnut pan. Here’s a pic of what I did (the makeshift doughnut pan on the left): http://foodflavorfascination.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_1008.jpg?w=395&h=262
      It won’t be perfectly round since the sides of the muffin tin are tapered, but it’s close!

• foods for the soul says on February 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thanks! The parents loved them, and I’m sure in a couple years their daughter will too. ;] You’re really creative! I love your solution, and if you don’t mind, I’d like to include it in any future baked donut recipes I post. (With a link back to you, of course!)

• snati001 says on February 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Lol, thanks. Yes, include it! Maybe someone will come up with something better :)

• foods for the soul says on February 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm

It’s a better solution than I could come up with… Which was just buy the donut maker! (Or ask for one for Christmas!)

2. Liz says on February 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

your donut maker strikes again:-)

• foods for the soul says on February 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm

It did!! I did allow my guy to try a donut before I delivered them, and I think he’s still really happy that he gave it to me for Christmas. ;]

3. Melisa R says on February 6, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I’ve been dying for a donut! I’m a sucker for the cake ones.

• foods for the soul says on February 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Me too! My favorites are chocolate donuts with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles. I haven’t made them yet myself because I’d eat them all before I could photograph them!

4. Brittany says on February 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm

It’s a donut kind of week!! These look so good!

• foods for the soul says on February 6, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Thanks!! I was drooling over your apple fritter donut bites earlier today… That’s definitely a flavor combination I’d love to try in my little donut machine!

5. Anne ~ Uni Homemaker says on February 6, 2013 at 11:04 pm

What a cute & festive doughnut! I love your photos too.

• foods for the soul says on February 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Thank you! I love getting in the spirit of both new baby girls and Valentine’s Day. So much pink! (Much to my guy’s dislike; he’s more of a black and neutrals type of person…)

6. IRENA & dots says on February 7, 2013 at 4:48 am

I an no donuts fan but these looks so … YUMMY! Big like for photos as well!

• foods for the soul says on February 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Thank you, that’s really sweet! :] I try not to indulge in regular donuts very often but… These are so much better! You get the soft cake-like interior and the donut flavor without any of the grease. Yum!

7. thatgirlsgotanappetite says on February 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

Fantastic piccies! They look good enough to eat!

• foods for the soul says on February 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Thanks! I’d hope so… They nearly disappeared before I could take their photo — my guy wanted to steal some for himself from the delivery plate!

8. BekAtCrave says on February 7, 2013 at 11:21 pm

These are too cute!

• foods for the soul says on February 8, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thanks!! I was secretly glad they didn’t have a baby boy… Pink was my favorite color during my entire childhood!

9. loudlyliz says on February 9, 2013 at 11:41 pm

They look gorgeous and I’m sure they taste even better!

• foods for the soul says on February 9, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Thank you! I only nibbled at one so I’d have enough to give away, but I heard great reviews from the new parents. Maybe I’ll have to make a batch for us for Valentine’s Day after all!

10. everythingthatscute says on February 17, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Love this post! Valentine’s day and pink foods! Your blog is great

• foods for the soul says on February 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Thank you! I love Valentine’s Day more and more each year… So much chocolate and pink and cuteness! It really brings out the little kid in me. ;]

11. lianochka says on April 2, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I can even buy all these ingredients in Russia – well except maybe the food colouring – I just have to figure out the donut pan issue )) Thank you!!