The Celebration Cake

fudgy chocolate cake with fudgy chocolate frosting

I met the love of my life in high school. Tall, dark, and handsome, he teased me from across the room at a birthday party, tempting me to come closer. A shy girl, I blushed and looked away, but I eventually mustered up enough courage to walk across the room. I approached, smiling, and…

I took a really big bite.

He wasn’t the star QB of the football team or the drum major in the marching band—he was a piece of chocolate cake! 6 layers of moist cake with 6 layers of fudgy chocolate frosting… My idea of perfection!

But alas, the romance was not meant to be… The chocolate cake came from Costco, and I’m not a member! So we parted ways after the birthday celebration ended, never to see each other again.

fudgy chocolate cake with fudgy chocolate frosting

Until last summer, when I discovered that my local grocery store sells individual slices of a 6-layer chocolate cake too! They aren’t quite as rich or fudgy, but at least I don’t need a membership just to buy a slice.

So to celebrate my blog’s new makeover, I knew I had to make my own decadent chocolate cake. And with frosting this fudgy, it’s a miracle any of it made it onto the cake… While waiting for the cake to bake, I ended up eating lots of the frosting with a spoon!

fudgy chocolate cake with fudgy chocolate frosting

Fudgy Chocolate Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Frosting

Yield: 1 cake (12 slices)

Serving Size: 1 slice

Fudgy Chocolate Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Frosting

This is a chocolate-lover’s dream—and still diet-friendly! The cake is best if baked and served the same day. You can refrigerated the leftovers, but it will slightly dry out the cake. (But it’ll help if you pop each leftover slice in the microwave for 4-6 seconds!)

fudgy chocolate cake - modified from this recipe
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 c sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1½ c plain nonfat yogurt
½ c unsweetened applesauce

fudgy chocolate frosting - modified from this recipe
2 oz unsweetened Baker’s chocolate, roughly chopped
1 (14 oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1. To prepare the cake, preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly coat the bottoms of two 9”-round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour, and line with wax paper. Once pressed into the bottoms of the pans, lightly coat the wax paper with the nonstick cooking spray with flour.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together the yogurt and applesauce.
  3. Whisk the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring just until incorporated. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans, and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and peeling the wax paper off of the bottom. Cool completely to room temperature.
  4. To prepare the frosting, place the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat on HIGH in the microwave for 20-second intervals, stirring well after each, until the chocolate melts. Spoon the condensed milk into a separate bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 15-20 seconds or until slightly warmed.
  5. Pour the condensed milk and cocoa powder into the melted chocolate, and stir until thoroughly mixed. Place in the refrigerator to chill, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
  6. To assemble the cake, spread half the frosting across the top of one of the layers, and plate the second layer on top. Spread the remaining frosting over top of the second layer, allowing some to drip decoratively down the sides. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before serving.

Note: Don’t try to spread the frosting around the sides of the cake! I tried that for these photos, and it was a bit too runny. Just let some drip decoratively down the sides instead.

View Nutrition Facts

fudgy chocolate cake with fudgy chocolate frosting

Comments

1. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet says on February 26, 2013 at 6:49 am

This cake looks so delicious!

• foods for the soul says on February 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Thank you! My tummy definitely thought so too… I ate half of it by myself in two days!

2. Norah says on February 26, 2013 at 10:08 am

Omg this looks sooo decadent! This cake has me salavating at work! Lmaooo this looks sooooo good :-)

• foods for the soul says on February 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thank you!! The photos turned out even better than I expected. I was really glad I make an entire cake instead of cupcakes — more for me, less I have to share! ;]

3. Bek @ Crave says on February 27, 2013 at 2:00 am

Ohh my this cake looks to die for!

• foods for the soul says on February 27, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed it — I ate half of it by myself in 2 days! — and I’m already looking for an excuse to make it again. Easter seems much too far away though…

4. Jen @TheFitHousewife says on February 27, 2013 at 8:31 am

Yum, this looks delish! You’re right…there is nothing better than homemade chocolate cake :)

• foods for the soul says on February 27, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thanks! It is hard to beat homemade chocolate cake… Or homemade chocolate anything!

5. joan says on February 28, 2013 at 3:13 pm

This looks delicious. I love your writing. Your words make me laugh. In a good way! :)

• foods for the soul says on February 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

That’s so sweet of you; thank you! It always brightens my day to hear that I can make somebody smile through my blog!

• amy says on February 11, 2014 at 4:26 pm

may look nice but it tasted horrid and the texture was discusting! this is coming from an experienced baker btw who tried out the recipe, disapointed

• Amy says on February 11, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I’m sorry the cake disappointed you Amy; that must have been a frustrating experience.

6. maintenent@aol.com says on March 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Ummm okay I tried this and follow directions. The cake part when mixing was not the usual smooth gooey consistency and it was very hard to spread in the pans. It didn’t pour like normal batter. Then the frosting is liquid and I have it in the refrigerator but it’s still liquid after 30 minutes it’s not hardening or anything. Is this normal?

• Amy says on March 12, 2014 at 12:19 am

The cake batter should have been slightly thicker than normal, closer to the consistency of muffin batter. Did you make sure you measured the flour correctly with the spoon and level method? (Check the link in the recipe if you aren’t sure!) And yes, that’s normal for the frosting. It may take an hour or more to set, depending on the temperature of your fridge. I promise the taste is worth the wait!

7. shelley says on August 19, 2014 at 7:18 am

made this cake yesterday….YUMMOOOO is all I can say…I made half the recipe…for a single layer…I also made 1 or 2 changes…used a whole egg, 1/2 cup each applesauce and nonfat greek yogurt…I only wanted to buy a small carton of the yogurt…I also used regular and dark cocoa powder…we love dark…then made a small bowl of regular frosting….just enough to frost the top….
    this is so tasty….but I ONLY wanted a single layer staring at me…..lol..thank you for the recipe

• Amy says on August 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

I’m so happy you enjoyed the cake Shelley! Your adaptations sound wonderful, and I completely agree… Two layers can be much too tempting, especially for a chocoholic like me! ;)