Growing Up — But Getting Younger!

baked chocolate sprinkle donuts

Any time I enter a donut shop, I immediately turn into a four-year-old kid. I run up to the display case, press my nose against the glass, and start judging each donut on its size, shape, fluffiness, and glaze.

At first, Mom only bought me the small kiddie-sized donuts or a few donut holes. (Probably had something to do with minimizing little kids’ sugar rushes…) Partway through grade school, she let me pick out the larger chocolate bars and twists. Then I discovered the cinnamon sugar crumb donuts in junior high and refused to order anything else!

After a six-year donut draught, I finally walked into a new store in a different town and stood at the front counter, completely mesmerized. While the crunchy old-fashioneds with their funny double-ring shape started calling my name, the chocolate sprinkle donuts shouted “Amy!” even louder.

I didn’t care that they were small and meant for toddlers… When I ordered my donut and nibbled on those bright rainbow sprinkles, I felt just like a kid again—and I enjoyed every single bite!

So… Can you guess my new favorite donut?

baked chocolate sprinkle donuts

Baked Chocolate Sprinkle Donuts

Yield: 10 mini donuts

Serving Size: 1 mini donut

Baked Chocolate Sprinkle Donuts

modified from Tracey’s recipe

These are great for a sweet breakfast, snack, or even dessert. But please, don’t leave off the sprinkles—they’re the best part!

for the donuts
¾ c all-purpose flour
¼ c granulated sugar
¼ c unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1½ tsp Ener-G + 2 tbsp warm water (or 1 egg)
5 tbsp vanilla soy milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp water

for the glaze
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1¼ - 1½ tsp water
3-4 tbsp rainbow sprinkles

1. Preheat an electric donut maker, or preheat the oven to 325° and lightly coat a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. To prepare the donuts, whisk the flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet, stirring just until incorporated.
  3. If using the electric donut maker, lightly spray the cups with nonstick spray, and fill each with the batter. Close the lid and bake 6-7 minutes, or until the donuts spring back when touched. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  4. If baking in the oven, evenly distribute the batter in the prepared pan, and bake at 325° for 9-10 minutes, or until the donuts spring back when touched. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  5. To prepare the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in the vanilla and 1¼ teaspoons of water, only stirring in the remaining water if necessary to thin out the glaze. Dip each donut in the glaze, shaking off any excess, and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.

View Nutrition Facts

baked chocolate sprinkle donuts

Comments

1. Purabi Naha says on March 14, 2013 at 2:24 am

Oh, this is so full of flavours! This looks like something I must try. The recipe is great and I loved the picture!!

• foods for the soul says on March 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thank you! I hope you do try it. I couldn’t stop eating them, so I gave the second half away instead!

2. Caroline says on March 14, 2013 at 5:54 am

I love using my donut pan! These look adorable and your photos are so pretty. And…I couldn’t agree more about sprinkles. They make everything irresistible.

• foods for the soul says on March 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I agree, donut pans (and makers) are amazing! I practically beg for excuses to use mine. (But no one seems to mind!) We never really outgrow sprinkles, do we? :]

3. BigFATcook says on March 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

yummy, these look amazing!! Thanks for the recipe.

• foods for the soul says on March 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm

My pleasure. I can’t take much credit though — chocolate always makes everything look good!

4. Brittany says on March 14, 2013 at 4:19 pm

EEEEPPP this post and these adorable donuts make me SQUEAL with excitement!! THEY ARE SO CUTE!! YUMM!

• foods for the soul says on March 14, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Thank you! They’re vegan too, so you could eat as many as you liked and never feel guilty! Chocolate, healthy, yummy — I’d say it’s a win-win-win situation! :]

5. Emanuelle says on March 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm

These look so delicious!! I’m not usually into sweet foods but this really looks irresistible! I love substituting for lower fat options when possible! Great job!

• foods for the soul says on March 15, 2013 at 10:23 am

Thank you! I like substituting ingredients to make recipes healthier too. And most of the time, nobody can tell the difference!

6. Kylie @ immaeatthat says on April 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Ooohhh I love cake donuts! Growing up my favorite was the vanilla cake donut with the pink strawberry icing and colored sprinkles…makes me feel like I’m back in elementary school just typing that. My mom would surprise us like once a month and take us to get donuts and chocolate milk before school. Easily the best day ever haha:)) One of my dreams is to open a healthy donut shop…how fun would that be?!

• foods for the soul says on April 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

If you opened a healthy donut store, I’d visit every single day! We always ordered apple juice to go with our donuts. The kind in the round glass bottle. Such good memories… (And now I’m craving donuts!)

7. Abby @ The Frosted Vegan says on May 4, 2013 at 8:51 am

Chocolate on chocolate? Yes please! Sprinkles necessary : )

• foods for the soul says on May 4, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Of course!! Chocolate at every meal is a necessity. Double chocolate at every meal is bliss. ;]

8. Taylor says on July 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I just made these donuts for my brother who is GF, DF, TF, SF, EF. I used water in place of the milk and used Better Batter gluten free flour. Absolutely delicious!

• Amy says on July 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I’m so glad you two enjoyed them, Taylor! And thank you for letting me know of your substitutions too. I’m always looking for new GF flour blends to try!

9. Daisy says on November 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hi
    These look so good! Can I use something else to replace the egg? i.e. some applesauce or pumpkin?

I don’t have the egg replacer

Thanks!

• Amy says on November 16, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I haven’t tried with this specific recipe, but I think applesauce or pumpkin would work. I’d love to hear how they turn out for you Daisy!

10. Matea says on August 14, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I haven’t had a doughnut in…well, a *long* time. Oh, yeah, I’ve had cravings for the classic glazed doughnut or the doughnuts dipped in chocolate. But then I would remember the grease and the sugar, and I would (try) to ignore my give-me-a-doughnut craving! With less than a cup of sugar and no deep-frying, this just might be the recipe I’ve been searching for! Thanks for sharing! says my doughnut craving :)

• Amy says on August 14, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Oh my goodness Matea, you have way more self-control than I do! I get donut cravings all the time, and it’s so hard to shake them… Especially for the chocolate or old-fashioned ones! If you try these, I really hope you enjoy them!