A Hand in the (Tupperware) Cookie Jar

fudgy chocolate cherry cookies

A white porcelain Peter Rabbit cookie jar appeared on our kitchen countertop sometime during my early childhood. Too beautiful and fragile to touch, it almost never held cookies.

On the rare occasion that Mom stopped my brother and I before we inhaled all of the chocolate chip cookies straight off the hot pan (or all of the raw dough from the bowl), she sealed the leftovers inside of a plastic Tupperware and set them out of our greedy reach on the top pantry shelf. The cookies stayed soft and fresh that way, and Mom never caught us with our hands in the cookie jar!

Without a pretty cookie jar of my own, I still stick cookies safely inside of Tupperware containers. Although this batch barely made it… They were so sweet and fudgy that I gobbled them up four at a time. And my guy, who reaches his “chocolate limit” after only three chocolate chips, even stole seconds when he thought I wasn’t looking!

fudgy chocolate cherry cookies

Fudgy Chocolate Cherry Cookies

Yield: 36 cookies

Serving Size: 1 cookie

Fudgy Chocolate Cherry Cookies

modified from CL’s recipe

Don’t over-bake these cookies! They’ll continue to set on the warm cookie sheets after taking them out of the oven. These cookies are soft, dark, and rich — in other words, absolutely addicting!

7 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ c granulated sugar
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1/3 c + 1 tbsp black cherry nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350°, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar. In a small pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter or margarine, then pour into the bowl of cocoa and sugar. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add in the yogurt and vanilla, mixing well. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring just until incorporated.
  3. Using about 1 tablespoon of dough at a time, shape into a ball and drop onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Note: The cherry flavor wasn’t very pronounced, so I might add ¼ teaspoon cherry extract and decrease the vanilla extract to ¾ teaspoon next time — or add in chopped dried cherries!

View Nutrition Facts

fudgy chocolate cherry cookies

Comments

1. Brittany says on March 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

I never had a cookie jar at my moms house, but I did at my dads and you better believe every time I am there I DIG MY PAWS RIGHT IN! These days since I am a vegan I have to make my own cookies, but I still have wonderful memories of oatmeal iced cookies.

• foods for the soul says on March 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Mmm, oatmeal cookies are delicious! Especially the soft-baked ones. And I’ll bet your dad is grateful every time you visit and refill the cookie jar with your vegan cookies!

2. Norah says on March 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Yummmmmm! I am craving your cookies sooooo bad! Lol but its funny how you say how you and your brother eat the cookies straight out of the oven bc I still do it till this day! Lol

• foods for the soul says on March 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Thanks! And shh, don’t tell… But I still eat them off of the pan too! They’re just better that way, especially if they have chocolate chips that are still somewhat melty. Too irresistible!

3. Hari Chandana says on March 25, 2013 at 9:18 pm

OMG.. those are super cute and delicious.. thanks for the wonderful recipe.. First time here.. Happy to follow your space :)

• foods for the soul says on March 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thank you so much; I’m touched that you want to follow my blog! And the cookies taste even better than they look! :]

4. Vinny says on April 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm

My God, they’re adorable.

• foods for the soul says on April 3, 2013 at 11:28 am

Thank you! It’s even better when food is cute and tastes irresistible too. ;]

5. Ashley says on May 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Made these tonight. Definitely fudgey. After the first batch came out of the oven I felt like they needed something else, so I popped a mini Rolo in the middle and sprinkled some sea salt over them. Pretty awesome. I also bumped up the cherry flavor like you recommended and you can definitely taste it. Delicious! Thanks

• Amy says on May 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

You’re welcome! And I love your modifications too! Rolos are amazing… Caramel + chocolate, who can resist that?? I’m glad to hear you could taste the cherry flavor! Did you use the extract or dried cherries (or both)?

• Ashley says on June 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I actually used the juice from marachino cherries I had in the fridge.

• Amy says on June 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm