No Cookies in the Courtroom!

peach cobbler cookies

Four weeks ago, I found a puffy envelope in my mailbox. California summoned me for my first official jury duty! Bright and (too) early last Monday morning, I stumbled up the courthouse steps, passed through security, and immediately heard my name called by the clerk to sit in the assembly box.

Great! I thought. This means I’ll be excused early and have the entire afternoon to bake and blog!

But with the long-winded legal precedents, we barely began the biographical inquiries before the lunch break. After more sitting, a brief afternoon bathroom break recess, and some other citizens’ excusals, the judge called us to our feet. “Please raise your right hand…”

What?? I’m on the jury?? No!

(There really should be a rule against serving on a jury the first time you get summoned… I was too overwhelmed to come up with a good dismissal excuse!)

His Honor then requested that we fill out a contact sheet, which had been placed on top of a thick pad of crisp white paper. Well, at least there’ll be plenty of room to brainstorm and write down recipes if taking notes on the trial gets boring! I mused…

Still, I solemnly swear I did not scribble a single ingredient on my scratch paper over the duration of the trial. I’m telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth—honest!

(I baked these cookies before the trial even began!)

peach cobbler cookies

Peach Cobbler Cookies

Yield: 36 cookies

Serving Size: 1 cookie

Peach Cobbler Cookies

These cookies are really soft and buttery, just like the biscuit topping for a cobbler. And with the peaches mixed in, it’s like eating the whole cobbler in hand-held, bite-sized form!

3 tbsp butter, melted
½ c granulated sugar
½ c nonfat peach Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
¼ c diced peaches (fresh or canned in juice)
1½ c all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350°, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar until a coarse mixture forms. Add in the yogurt and vanilla, stirring well. Mix in the peaches. Lightly spoon the flour into the measuring cups, and mix in along with the baking soda and salt, stirring just until incorporated.
  3. Drop tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes, or until just barely set. Cool on the pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

peach cobbler cookies

Comments

1. Andrea @ mrs Webb in the kitchen says on April 28, 2013 at 10:18 pm

SERIOUSLY want to take a bite out of my iPad screen. And this dish screams SUMMER IS COMING! (I had to tell it to quiet down, I’m on my way to bed…)

• foods for the soul says on April 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I’m so ready for summer! Beach towels, swim suits, watermelon, ice cream… And lots and lots of sunscreen!

• Andrea @ Mrs Webb in the Kitchen says on April 29, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I LOVE the smell of sunscreen… and I just bought my first watermelon today!! Not in season yet, I know… it was grown in Mexico, but shhhh!

• foods for the soul says on April 29, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I have yet to find the perfect sunscreen… I’ve come close with a few oil-free brands, but they still don’t smell all that great! And your secret is safe with me. ;] (Besides, Mexico really isn’t that far away from us anyway, right?)

2. Medeja says on April 29, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I have to make these cookies! I have some dried peaches that are waiting to be finished :D

• foods for the soul says on April 29, 2013 at 6:41 pm

How perfect! I’d suggest hydrating the dried peaches in some warm water first, just in case. :] I hope you enjoy the cookies!

3. Anjo Angela Lim says on April 29, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Amy, this is a genius idea! I love peach cobbler, esp. with tahitian vanilla ice cream. But in cookie form?! Talk about on the go greatness! ;) ;)

4. Bentobochs says on April 30, 2013 at 5:19 am

Serving size: 1 cookie
    Really? Should be more like 4-6. That’s kind of like saying 1 potato chip is 1 serving. You just can’t do it. Looks delicious.

• foods for the soul says on April 30, 2013 at 12:21 pm

You caught me… I usually ate these four at a time! But I wanted to put the Nutrition Information for each cookie so that people in the Weight Watchers program could have an easier time calculating their points. Hence the “1 cookie” serving size. :]

5. Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel says on April 30, 2013 at 11:24 am

These sound yummy and so unique! I’ve never seen peach cookies before!

• foods for the soul says on April 30, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thank you! I hadn’t either, which surprised me. Apparently people prefer their peaches in pies and cobblers more than in cookies!

6. Brittany says on April 30, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to never have had jury duty! I was summoned once when I was like 19 (whaaat!) but I got out of it somehow, I don’t even remember. I think I said I had to work haha. YUM cookieess! I would have smuggled some in!

• foods for the soul says on April 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Lucky you!! I thought of the BEST excuse ever — the morning after! Not fair… And I definitely smuggled in a granola bar, although I ate it in the hallway during our “recess” (I wish it was more like little-kid-on-the-playground recess…). The wrapper would’ve made too much noise during the testimonies!

7. Paula Eriksen says on May 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

Dying to try these – have printed out the recipe and will get some peaches and try. Thanks

• foods for the soul says on May 4, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I hope you enjoy the cookies! I’d love to hear how they turn out. :]

8. Joanna says on May 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Bad luck with jury duty. I was able to get by with beginner’s luck my first time, unselected and dismissed before lunch. These look so yummy, though. I’ll have to add them into my cycle of baked goods brought into work sometime, since peaches are a favorite in these parts.

• foods for the soul says on May 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Lucky you! I’ll need to ask you for tips in a year when they send me a summons again… I’d love to hear what you (and your coworkers) think of the cookies!

9. Catbac77 says on August 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

Couple questions… Can you freeze these? What is their shelf life? And should you chill the dough before dropping on cookie sheets to bake?
    Thx,
    Cg

• Amy says on August 8, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Hi Cg! The cookies will last for a few days, probably up to a week, if kept in an air-tight container. I haven’t tried freezing them yet, but I’d suggest wrapping them in plastic wrap and tin foil, the same as brownies, since they are lighter than many other desserts. Chilling the dough isn’t necessary, unless you feel it’s too stick to work with.

Hope that helps! :)

10. Bbadry says on August 13, 2013 at 11:34 am

So good! I think the next time I make these I will add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.

• Amy says on August 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thank you!! I’m so glad you liked them — hearing that made my day. :) I love your idea to add spices. Cinnamon is my favorite; I can never get enough!

11. rachelle says on September 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

What if I did a blueberry greek yogurt instead? I wonder how that would taste?

• Amy says on September 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I’m sure that would work, Rachelle! But I’d recommend switching to blueberries instead of peaches, just to keep the fruit consistent. :)

1. [...] This is heavenly! It seems that all angels lend their hand in preparing these cookies. This is amazingly beautiful, I can’t be wrong if I say that these cookies are very delectable. With this kind of cookie, you would actually forget your diet regimen. I’m sure you won’t settle for a single serving. Go check out her blog! [...]