Mojo Magic

peanut butter pretzel bars - mojo copycat

On Saturday during our Hawaii vacation, we drove halfway around the island to see our favorite hula show. I snagged the coveted couches in the open-air lounge as an elderly couple abandoned them, and we all settled in to wait for the torch lighting ceremony to begin.

Throughout the evening, a waitress periodically stopped by to ask for our orders. Everyone put in requests at different times—Dad for a quesadilla before the entertainment started; Mom for a salad in between the torch lighting and hula show; and my brother for a BBQ pizza and passion fruit smoothie while the dancers ran offstage to change clothes.

peanut butter pretzel bars - mojo copycat

As an indecisive self-proclaimed snacker, I usually sneak bits and pieces off of other people’s plates to make up my meals. (I can hardly choose just one dish to try on a menu!) But I spent the show distracted by the sweet four-year-old girls up on stage, and I completely forgot to steal enough samples to satisfy my stomach from my family’s dinners!

Before I even buckled my seatbelt, my tummy started rumbling. No way could I survive the 1.5-hour drive back to the condo with a snack! I rustled around the trunk in the pitch-black darkness until I nearly knocked over Mom’s beach bag. Bingo!

peanut butter pretzel bars - mojo copycat

An avid hiker, Dad always stashes some energy bars in the car on our vacations, just in case we pass by an interesting trailhead (or he gets hungry). As I ripped one open, my brother asked what I was doing.

“Uhh… Finishing my dinner?”

AKA enjoying pure pretzel and peanut buttery bliss! But when I saw the Mojo™ Nutrition Label back at the condo, I knew I could come up with a lighter version.

My first attempt resulted in what I lovingly referred to as “The Mojo Granola”—too dry and crumbly to stick together as bars! Try #2 came out just perfect, and Dad smiled a bit bigger than normal when I said I’d leave the whole batch with him. (P.S. Check out the Nutrition Information below to see how mine compares to the original!)

peanut butter pretzel bars - mojo copycat

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars (Clif Mojo™ Copycat)

Yield: 10 bars

Serving Size: 1 bar

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars (Clif Mojo™ Copycat)

These are sweet, salty, soft, and really peanut buttery. They’re a great afternoon or hiking snack!

3 oz (heaping 5 c) soy crisps (see Notes)
6 tbsp (2 oz) soy protein powder
6 tbsp powdered peanut butter (such as PB2)
½ c water
6 tbsp agave
2 tbsp peanuts, roughly chopped
6 mini pretzel twists, roughly chopped
2 tbsp peanut butter chips, cut in half (see Notes)

1. Lightly coat an 8”-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
  2. Add half of the soy crisps to a blender or food processor, and pulse 3-4 times. Pour into a large bowl and break up any large pieces with your fingers. Repeat with the remaining soy crisps. Add the soy protein powder to the bowl, and stir until evenly distributed.
  3. Add the powdered peanut butter, water, and agave to a small pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, for about 3 minutes until it begins to boil. Let it boil for 15-20 seconds before pouring over the soy mixture. Stir with the spatula until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
  4. Pour the soy mixture into the prepared pan, and carefully press down. In order, sprinkle the peanuts, pretzels, and peanut butter chips over top, pressing each down into the soy mixture. Cut into 10 bars.

Notes: I used Whole Food’s 365 Everyday Value Soy Crisps, Sea Salt flavor. These were lower in fat and higher in protein than other brands.

I cut each of my peanut butter chips in half to ensure there’d be a little bit in every bite, but you can sprinkle the whole chips on top instead if you’re in a hurry!

peanut butter pretzel bars - mojo copycat

Comments

1. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says on June 12, 2013 at 7:07 am

These are so great! I need to do some copycats like this. My daughter eats me out of my food prop money with all her energy bars, so a copy cat would be amazing.

• Amy says on June 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

That’s a big predicament! Good props are hard to come by, and the best ones come with a slightly larger price tag… I hope you come up with some good copycats (and your daughter enjoys them too)!

2. Brittany says on June 12, 2013 at 8:13 am

I am OBSESSED with these bars! I JUST refueled my stash yesterday! Your version looks amazing…AMAZING. I guarantee your bars win! I need to make these.

• Amy says on June 12, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thanks Brittany! They’re pretty addictive… I can’t even buy the originals anymore because I will eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack — all in the same day!

3. Karey @ Nutty About Health says on June 13, 2013 at 6:36 am

These look great Amy! You know when I saw you had PB in the title I had to come by & check it out. ;)

• Amy says on June 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Thank you Karey! I’m kind of obsessed with peanut butter right now… (And a big part of it is because of you, reminding me how delicious it is!) Both recipes this week have been PB treats, and I have another extra special one coming next week! I can’t stop!

4. Kristina says on June 13, 2013 at 7:04 am

Omygosh I am obsessed with these bars!! I used to eat those mojo bars all the time in college – LOVE your copycat version! And the nutrition stats are great, you totally slashed the fat, the original can creep up on you :)

• Amy says on June 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Kristina! I’m glad I didn’t discover them until after college; I would’ve eaten them all the time too. And that was the first thing I wanted to change; I wasn’t too happy that half of the original Mojo calories were from fat!

5. Christine @ 24 Carrot Kitchen says on June 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Hawaii – that’s awesome! These bars look great especially to a peanut butter lover.

• Amy says on June 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Thanks Christine! The bars were packed with peanut butter flavor, and I have an extra special PB treat coming next week too! :)

6. Andrea says on June 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm

HOLY YUM!!! I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I’ve never had a Mojo bar, based on how many fans there seem to be on this page, but I don’t think I’ll ever need to now with this recipe! I’ve never heard of PB2… but I’m a PB freak (I think I told you this… to the point where I had to stop buying it at one point in college because of a lack of self control) so I think I’ll pick some of that up soon! What brand of soy protein powder did you use? And was it vanilla flavored or anything?

• Andrea says on June 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm

PS- I adore this set of photos. :)

• Amy says on June 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Andrea! I hadn’t had a Mojo bar before our vacation either. The Nutrition Information kept me from trying one, but a desperate growling tummy calls for desperate measures! ;) Whole Foods is one of the only places I could find PB2 — go figure! I bought my protein powder from a local grocery store’s bulk bins, so I’m not sure of the brand. It didn’t have any flavoring, but if you can’t find unflavored powder, I’d probably go with vanilla!

7. Anne says on August 4, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Hi Amy, Thanks for sharing the recipe!! I have a need to stay away from soy. I know I can replace the soy protein powder with whey, but do you by any chance know what I can substitute for the soy crisps? I’ve never had soy crisps so I’m not sure what to use.

THANKS!!
    Anne

• Amy says on August 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm

My pleasure Anne! Soy crisps look and have a very similar texture to mini rice cakes, so you could easily substitute with those. Quaker has their “Popped” products (although I don’t believe they carry a just-salted flavor), and other companies and stores may offer more brands too. If you do make the bars, I’d love to hear how your version turn out!

• Anne says on August 4, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Thanks for taking time to respond! I believe I’ll check Wegman’s (grocery store)… they make “Popped” rice cakes right in the store.

Take care,
        Anne

• Amy says on August 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm

My pleasure, Anne! You’re lucky to have a grocery store that makes their own rice cakes. The ones near me don’t even bake their own cakes or cupcakes — they only decorate them. Hope the bars turn out well for you!

8. differentbeautifully says on September 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

These came out wonderful! I used rice krispies and finely ground peanuts instead of soy crisps and pb2. I love my mojo bars still, but it is so nice to be able to make a granola bar type thing and not turn on the oven. These will definitely be a staple:)

• Amy says on September 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

I’m so happy to hear that! I love your substitution too — I wouldn’t have thought to use rice krispies, but that’s a great idea. I’ll keep that in mind the next time I make them! :)

9. Amy Souther says on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 am

Hi, these look great, but was wondering what the nutritional value is for these bars?

• Amy says on January 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Amy! There’s a link to the Nutrition Information right below the recipe. :)

10. Angela says on January 23, 2014 at 11:14 am

These look delicious! Im on the mission to find a way to make my own protein bars as I always have to have food on my due to my hypoglycemia. Is there a way to add more fiber? Thanks for sharing all these wonderful recipes!

• Amy says on January 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Angela! If you don’t have a problem with gluten, you could substitute 1 or 2 cups of the soy crisps with fiber cereal (such as Fiber One) to help increase the fiber content. I’d love to hear what modifications you make and what you think of the bars!

11. Shannon says on January 26, 2014 at 7:44 am

Hello, am I supposed to bake these or just eat as is?

• Amy says on January 26, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Just eat them as is! If you bake them, they’ll turn dry and crumbly. (I tried baking the first batch, and they crumbled to pieces in my hands!) I hope you enjoy the bars Shannon!

• Shannon says on January 27, 2014 at 8:20 am

Well, I’m not sure what I did wrong but they came out sort of mushy… couldn’t cut an actual “bar” – it was more pasty consistency. I have all the ingredients so I’ll try again!

• Amy says on January 27, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Oh no; I’m sorry about that Shannon! The bars are supposed to be firm and easy to slice through. Maybe try adding a little less water next time; it could be that different brands of soy crisps and protein powders absorb liquids differently. I really hope your next batch turns out perfectly!

12. Angela says on February 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm

It turns out that Whole Foods doesnt sell those soy crisps anymore (at least at mine) so I improvised using brown rice rice krispies and bran flakes. Not a bad first try but, I can see where I need to make improvements! Thanks for the great recipe ideas!

• Amy says on February 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your substitution Angela! Since I first made these, my brother found out that he’s allergic to soy, so I’ve been trying to creatively come up with substitutions for my recipes including soy. I’d love to hear how your next batch turns out too! :)

13. patfj10@optonline.net says on February 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Is there something I can use besides soy and soy products? I can’t tolerate soy

• Amy says on February 13, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Of course! You can substitute rice cakes (look for the smaller snack size) in place of the soy crisps and any protein powder (whey, rice, etc.) in place of the soy protein powder. I hope you enjoy the bars!

14. Stephanie says on February 19, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Just wondering, can you use natural peanut butter instead of the powder? Thanks!

• Amy says on February 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I haven’t tried it myself Stephanie, but I think that would work! I basically created a thin/liquidy peanut butter by boiling the powdered peanut butter and water. Because regular peanut butter contains more moisture than powdered, you can probably get away with a little less than 1/2 cup of water. I’d love to hear how the bars turn out if you try that! :)

• Stephanie says on February 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Thanks! I am trying them this weekend so I will let you know! I love peanut butter, I can’t tell you how excited I am to eat them haha

• Amy says on February 20, 2014 at 10:10 pm

You’re welcome! I love PB too, and that love just keeps growing stronger. I nibble on a little off a spoon straight from the jar every day! ;)

• Stephanie says on February 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Ah yes, I definitely do that too haha. The bars turned out amazing! It was a great success :)

• Amy says on February 23, 2014 at 10:28 pm

That’s wonderful news Stephanie; I’m so happy you liked them! Peanut butter just seems to taste better out of the jar, doesn’t it? ;)

15. Linda says on March 8, 2014 at 11:51 am

I just made the bars and they are really good. They are just too soft, as I am typing this I put them in the freezer to firm up a bit and they were not real wet I went exactly by recipe. I know they are not like your normal firm bar any suggestions to firm it up some but not much more? Some of the bars you make are like card board and these are not. Yea!
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• Amy says on March 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Linda; I’m glad you enjoyed the bars! Your idea about popping them in the freezer (or even the fridge) to firm up this batch is a great one. For any future batches, I’d suggest using a little less water (i.e. 6-7 tablespoons instead of a full 1/2 cup) to make them a little less soft. I’d love to know how that turns out if you try making them again! :)