A Little More Cookie Dough

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites | by Foods for the Soul

In the beginning of July, I complained about the heat complicating my cookie-baking cravings. I begged for someone to switch off the sun so I could turn on my oven. After 8 days of nothing but ice water and strawberry slurpees, the thermometers finally fell back down to our typical summer range.

Yet two weeks later, the same problem has snuck up again! Temperatures are supposed to reach 100°—or higher—starting, oh… Tomorrow.

I just can’t catch a break!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites | by Foods for the Soul

My grandparents, on the other hand, have spent the past 52 years in Arizona, suffering through enjoying their feverishly hot summers. On the few occasions that we visited them for the 4th of July, Grandma would pull out a worn recipe card. My brother and I helped her melt butterscotch chips, mix in peanut butter and cornflakes, and make mounds on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. After they spent an hour in the fridge, we munched on as many of the no-bake PB Crunchies as we could hold!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites | by Foods for the Soul

With this next impending heat wave, I contemplated coming up with a lightened version of Grandma’s special crunchies. I even bought a new jar of peanut butter and a bag of butterscotch chips at the grocery store. But then…

I remembered my chocolate chip cookie dough bites.

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites | by Foods for the Soul

It seems that I wasn’t the only one who loved them! You all quickly made them the most popular post on my blog by liking them on Facebook, saving them on Pinterest, and staring at the photos—multiple times a day. So to say THANK YOU, I mixed up a new batch of cookie dough bites: peanut butter-flavored, just like Grandma’s no-bake crunchy cornflake cookies.

And now that those soft little guys are safely sitting in my fridge… Bring on the heat!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites | by Foods for the Soul

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites

Yield: 32 bites

Serving Size: 4 bites

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites

These little bites are perfect for when you want cookies but don’t want to heat up the house! They’ll keep for a week if stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

¾ c + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ c powdered peanut butter (such as PB2)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
¼ c unsweetened applesauce
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ c light brown sugar

1. Whisk together the flour, powdered peanut butter, and salt in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, stir together the peanut butter, applesauce, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Mix in the brown sugar, smearing any clumps along the side of the bowl. Add in the dry flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated.
  2. Optional: If the dough is too sticky to shape, refrigerate for 20-40 minutes.
  3. Line a baking sheet or large plate with wax paper. Roll the cookie dough into 32 little balls, using between 1 – 1½ teaspoons of dough in each ball. Place on the wax paper until ready to serve.

Notes: Do NOT try to bake these as cookies! They’ll turn out dense and flat because the recipe doesn’t use any baking powder.

Keep the cookie dough bites in the refrigerator. Their flavors meld over time, and they actually taste best after at least 2 days of sitting in the fridge!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites | by Foods for the Soul

Comments

1. Brittany says on July 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I would eat all of these!! OHH yum, perfect for the hot days I have been having! I was just talking about how I am so bummed with the heat affecting my appetite!! I just DON’T have an appetite!!

• Amy says on July 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I hear ya, Brittany! On hot days, all I crave is cold fruit and salads. And lots and lots of iced tea! I hope you get your appetite (and some cooler weather) back soon, and I’d love to hear what you think if you try them! :)

2. Karey @ Nutty About Health says on July 17, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Yum!!! You know these are right up my alley!! They look AMAZING Amy!! :)

• Amy says on July 17, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I definitely thought of you while I was eating these, Karey! The PB flavor intensifies over time too, if you can leave them alone in the fridge for that long! ;)

3. Erika says on July 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

Gorgeous! Those looks so smooth and creamy and perfect–I’ll definitely have to try these sometime soon since I’m not going to be turning on my oven (in Houston) for about another two months!

• Amy says on July 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Houston?? Oh my goodness Erika, I’m so sorry about that heat! I visited Texas in August two summers ago, and I felt like I was walking into a furnace whenever I stepped outside in the sunlight. I hope you have a lot of ice cream or froyo recipes to try too! ;)

4. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes says on July 19, 2013 at 12:46 pm

These look so good!! I love that I can eat cookie dough without worrying about the raw egg :)

• Amy says on July 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Ashley! I was the little kid who always snuck cookie dough from the bowl when my mom wasn’t looking… Now we don’t have to feel guilty about doing that! ;)

5. Tammela says on July 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Yum! Peanut butter-anything is fine by me.

• Amy says on July 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I’m the same way, Tammela! I put it on everything — toast, bagels, Oreos, pretzels… And sometimes I just eat it straight from the jar with a spoon!

6. kc says on July 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

this is my dream dessert!! And straight-up pb is probably a close second!

• Amy says on July 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

KC, I used to eat PB straight out of the jar with a spoon as a kid! Good memories… Maybe I’ll go sneak a little now! ;)

7. Lori says on November 21, 2013 at 3:51 am

I have never heard of Powdered Peanut Butter.
    What is it and where would I find it?
    I have made other Peanut Butter Bites but, the flavor was just not pea-nutty enough.(If that made any sense?)

• Amy says on November 21, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Powdered peanut butter is also known as peanut flour. It’s similar to almond meal, but made from peanut instead! I love the brand “PB2,” and most Whole Foods grocery stores sell it. A few Walmart stores have started stocking it too!

Not peanutty enough makes complete sense. It can be hard to balance the peanut butter with enough flour, which is where the powdered peanut butter comes in! It boosts the peanut butter flavor without the added fat, calories, and moisture of regular peanut butter. I really hope you like these bites Lori!