Cinnamon Chip Sale Magnet

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake | by Foods for the Soul

I’m a sucker for sales. Those bright flashy signs act like a super magnet, luring me in and pulling me closer until I’m face-to-face with the price tag. And with such a reduced rate, who am I to resist?

Okay, so I’m pretty good about avoiding discounts on jeans and jewelry… Clothing sales just aren’t as tempting as those at the grocery store! (I’m strange, I know.) I draw the line at pork rinds and Portobello mushrooms, but everything else is fair game!

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake | by Foods for the Soul

On one of my leisurely trips down the baking aisle in April, I stopped at the chocolate chips section. While pulling out my coupons to choose which kind to purchase, my eyes zeroed in on one of those bold “SALE!” tags. “Cinnamon Chips — just $1.50! (While supplies last.)” As a cinnamon addict—I only buy the Costco-sized jars since I run through regular-sized ones in a month—I couldn’t resist. I snatched up a bag, completely forgetting about the chocolate chips, and hugged it to my chest.

I spent weeks deciding on the first dessert to try them in. Cookies? Too predictable. Cake? Too boring. Ice cream? Too easy. Scones? Hmm, maybe…

I continued mulling over the possibilities during my evening walk, and right as I turned the final corner to head back home, “cheesecake” popped into my mind. Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake. It has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake | by Foods for the Soul

But I proceeded to procrastinate on it, first making my Candy Bar Cheesecake, then waiting for cream cheese to go back on sale. And graham crackers too. (Told you I’m a sucker!)

I finally rounded up all of the ingredients last week and scribbled down a recipe. As soon as I finished the photo shoot—and before I could take more than a taste off the blade of the knife—I packed it up in my car and drove 1½ hours to visit my parents. They actually snuck the first two slices while I went out to run errands, and…

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake | by Foods for the Soul

Well, let’s just say that their eyes lit up like light bulbs when I offered to leave half of it in their fridge. And my mom declared it to be the best cheesecake she’s ever had.

Now, if only Safeway would put cinnamon chips on sale again…

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake | by Foods for the Soul

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake

Yield: 1 cheesecake (8 slices)

Serving Size: 1 slice

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake

While we loved this on its own, I’d highly recommend serving with sautéed apples, whipped cream, or a drizzle of caramel sauce!

7 sheets reduced-fat cinnamon graham crackers
1 tbsp butter, melted
3 egg whites, divided
3 (8 oz) blocks fat-free cream cheese, softened
¾ c granulated sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp vanilla
1½ tbsp cinnamon
¼ c cinnamon chips

1. Preheat the oven to 300°, and lightly coat a 9” springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. To prepare the crust, add the graham crackers to a food processor, and pulse until they turn into fine crumbs. Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and 1 egg white in a small bowl. Press the mixture into the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 8 minutes, then cool completely.
  3. To prepare the filling, cream the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl. Add in the remaining egg whites, flour, and vanilla, mixing well. Fold in the cinnamon chips.
  4. Spread the filling on top of the cooled crust, and bake at 300° for 40-45 minutes, or until the center barely jiggles when shaken. Cool to room temperature before covering with plastic wrap, ensuring that it touches the top of the cheesecake, and chill for at least 8 hours.

Cinnamon Chip Cheesecake | by Foods for the Soul

Comments

1. Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily says on July 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm

What a delicious idea with the cinnamon chips! Lovely photos :)
    J+C

• Amy says on July 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thank you Judit and Corina! That’s very sweet of you. Sometimes I can’t decide which I like better — taking the photos or eating the dessert after!

2. Brittany says on July 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

Oh…my…gosh. OH MY GOSH! First of all I share you love for sales on food items. Clothes don’t really make me swoon quite like cheap produce and candy, but I do love anything on sale really. This cheesecake looks like the most heavenly slice of cloudy pillow deliciousness. YUM!

• Amy says on July 20, 2013 at 12:22 pm

You are my sale IDOL, Brittany!! I still can’t get over all of those donuts you got for free in April… And your trips to Seattle always seem to end in some yummy cheap treats too! Have you ever made a vegan cheesecake before? I know you’ve done pumpkin pie with tofu, but I’d love to hear your other tricks for creamy vegan desserts!

3. laurasmess says on July 21, 2013 at 7:59 pm

This looks wonderful Amy! I have no idea where I could find cinnamon chips here in Australia but I need to go hunting! My husband loves cheesecake. I’m more into lighter desserts myself but I think he would adore this recipe! xx

• Amy says on July 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thank you Laura! I’ve seen the cinnamon chips at large superstores and grocery chains, but I’m not sure if you have anything like that. One of my favorite bloggers, Stef from Cupcake Project actually has her own recipe here for making pumpkin pie chips (which are really similar to cinnamon, if you just use cinnamon instead of pumpkin pie spice), in case you can’t find any in stores! (I haven’t tried it yet though.)

4. Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens says on July 22, 2013 at 4:18 am

Amy, this looks completely amazing! All your procrastinating (and that evening walk – that’s usually when I do some of my best thinking, too!) paid off big-time! YUM!!!!

• Amy says on July 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Aww thank you Shelley!! You’re so sweet. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve come up with recipe ideas on my evening walks… Something about getting outside the house must get our creative juices flowing!

5. Lilia - spoon stories- says on July 23, 2013 at 2:25 am

Really it looks very very delicious^^

• Amy says on July 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thank you Lilia! My parents thought so too, and my dad even requested it for his birthday dessert in September!

• Lilia - spoon stories- says on July 24, 2013 at 12:26 am

I will try it too ^^
        thanks Amy :)

• Amy says on July 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm

My pleasure, Lilia!

6. Cyndi says on July 28, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Definitely my favorite flavor of “flavored” cheesecakes ever. Not too sweet, not too rich. The cinnamon complements the creamy tastes so well….

Blue ribbon winner!!!

• Amy says on July 28, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Thank you! :) I’m glad you enjoyed it, and it just might show up at your house again in September…