For some of you, summer ended when September began. Swimsuits and sandals were tucked away, replaced by scarves and sweatshirts on closet shelves. You pulled out fleecy blankets and fuzzy slippers and started stocking up on firewood. And certain signs of fall started sneaking up…
1) Pumpkin mania at Starbucks. Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin scones, pumpkin loaf slices, and pumpkin cream cheese muffins. Pretty soon, their most loyal customers might turn bright orange themselves!
2) Back-to-school shopping. I can’t find a single ballpoint pen or spiral notebook to save my life. And I even checked Safeway!
3) Soccer season. Every Saturday, little six-year-olds sprint up and down the grassy fields in their miniature cleats and shin guards, chasing after a ball that comes halfway up their knees. Way too cute.
4) Halloween candy. Although it actually appears as soon as the calendar flips to the 5th of July…
5) Nonexistent lines as Jamba Juice and Baskin Robbins. Because who wants something cold when they can’t feel their fingers? (But they might see more sales if they jump on the Starbucks pumpkin bandwagon!)
6) Empty shelves at grocery stores. Every time I walk in, I see frazzled employees frantically restocking the Capri Suns, Lunchables, and Hostess Ho Hos. Oh, and oranges (for those soccer game halftime snacks!).
7) School bells. Living really close to an elementary school, I hear them ringing for the morning recess when I walk the dog. At least the park next door is completely quite and empty!
8) The crock pot craze. Have you seen all the recipes on Pinterest lately?? If not, then just toddle on over to visit Dorothy at Crazy for Crust. She made crock pot applesauce—then stuffed it inside of homemade pop tarts!
9) Flannel everything. Shirts, PJs, scarves, sheets, dresses, vests… You want it, they’ve got it!
10) Busy bars on Monday nights. Regular restaurant seating is wide open, but good luck elbowing your way in to buy a beer! Hardcore football fans steak out the barstools as early as 4 pm and stay until closing. (And avoid ordering nachos or potato skins. The kitchens run out by 7 pm!)
But in my town, autumn waits until November to arrive. Just today, temperatures passed 100°, and I still sweated in the sweltering heat on my evening walk after the sun went down! Not that I mind too much… I always dread the runny noses, numb fingers and toes, and never-ending goose bumps that winter brings.
So to hang on to summer just a little bit longer, I created a special treat: Tropical Macaroon Bread Puddings! Immaculate Baking is about to release their new coconut macaroon cookie dough (so start looking for it in your grocery store!) and sent me a sample to try. I baked a small batch of their soft sweet cookies, cut them into cubes and mixed them with some milk (and eggs and bread), and added pineapple for the perfect tangy pairing. Even if it already feels like fall to you, I promise you’ll still swoon over this summery dessert!
Disclosure: I was given the Coconut Macaroon Cookie Dough by Immaculate Baking. The opinions and text are all my own.
Still tempted by the tropics? Here are some of my favorite recipes with coconut!