Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles

Rich dark chocolate truffles with festive peppermint flavor.
An easy 4-ingredient recipe for a surprisingly healthy treat!

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles -- only 27 calories each! {vegan & clean-eating}

My mom’s birthday fell on Thursday: two days after she started her new job, the same day of my dad’s critical 8-hour meeting, and the day before he flew to NYC. She planned ahead, buying her own birthday present the previous weekend and handing it to Dad for him to wrap and give, but because of their hectic work schedules, they “celebrated” with take-out on the couch in front of a Duraflame log fire.

Although Mom claimed, “I don’t need to celebrate—I’m not aging this year!” I still drove down Saturday to spend the afternoon with her. Over our favorite blueberry coffee cake, I surprised her with chocolate candles (they smell shockingly realistic!) and inspirational salad plates tucked inside a lavender gift bag. After nestling our leftovers in their crowded fridge, we watched Elf, decorated my dog with a festive blinking-light Christmas collar, and blitzed through stores searching for winter sweaters and stocking stuffers.

While waiting my turn in the long line at Kohl’s, my eyes wandered to their checkout stand displays. Packed with shiny bags of creamy Godiva chocolate truffles and peppermint bark, each one begged to be placed in my basket and taken home. At the Walmart next door, boxes of Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates threatened to topple on my head as I balanced precariously on my tiptoes to inspect the Gingerbread M&Ms. And we vowed not to visit the mall; See’s dark chocolate truffles always called our names too loudly to resist!

Instead of indulging in those pricy, calorie-laden chocolates (well, for now at least… I can’t make any promises about Christmas Day!), I created my own healthier alternative: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles. These rich, fudgy balls taste just as decadent but are secretly skinny, dairy-free and clean-eating friendly!

With the centers of my chocolate-filled wheat rolls as inspiration, I only used 4 ingredients for these low-fat truffles: cocoa powder, applesauce, honey, and peppermint extract. That’s it! Nothing fancy, and not one drop of heavy cream or melted chocolate. You probably store most of these things in your pantry already!

Although applesauce is included, you cannot taste it at all. Along with the honey, it acts as the glue to hold the truffles together, as well as providing a little natural sweetness. There are no fruit flavors in these skinny truffles—just lots of peppermint and dark chocolate!

For vegan truffles, substitute the honey with light corn syrup or agave. With its thick viscous texture, the corn syrup will better imitate the honey, but if following a clean-eating diet, opt for the agave instead.

To add to this recipe’s simplicity, no heating is required either. Like I mentioned, there’s no chocolate to melt and no cream to warm. All of the mixing is done at room temperature. Just measure each ingredient into a bowl, stir until combined, and stick in the fridge to chill. It’s the easiest chocolate truffle recipe you’ll ever make!

To form the truffles, roll a heaping tablespoon of the chocolate mixture between your palms to shape it into a ball. The chocolate may stick to your hands a bit, but it washes off easily with warm water. (Go ahead, sneak a taste—I won’t judge!) Place each sphere on wax paper or in mini muffin paper liners for a pretty presentation, and leave them in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Chilling helps maintain their circular shape and intensifies the minty taste.

Although I stuck with a simple appearance, try coating them in extra cocoa powder or confectioner’s (powdered) sugar for a polished look. I also contemplated rolling them in crushed candy canes or peppermint bark for an extra minty taste. That red and white layer would look really striking against the dark chocolate truffles!

Without revealing anything about these Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles, I presented them to Mom for her approval. As she sunk her teeth into the center of one of the decadent treats, her eyes widened. “They’re only 27 calories??” she asked. “Did you use a sugar substitute to reduce the calories?”

I grinned and revealed the recipe. “They’re just as rich as regular ones made with melted chocolate and heavy cream,” she declared. “They’re going to be one of the most popular recipes on your blog!”

I wonder if she’ll be right!

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles

Yield: 16 truffles

Serving Size: 1 truffle

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles

These rich, fudgy truffles are full of peppermint flavor! Roll them in extra cocoa powder or confectioner’s sugar for a pretty touch. Store them in the fridge for up to a week.

1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
½ c unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp honey (or agave)
¼ tsp peppermint extract

1. In a medium bowl, stir together all 4 ingredients. Chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to 3 days. Working with a heaping tablespoon at a time, roll the chocolate mixture into a ball, and place on wax paper or in individual mini muffin paper liners. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

You may also like…

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Truffles -- rich, decadent & secretly skinny!

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Truffles

Ginger Fudge -- secretly skinny, so you can still indulge without the guilt!

Ginger Fudge

Milk Dud Mini Muffins | by Foods for the Soul {foodsforthesoul.net}

Milk Dud Mini Muffins

Comments

1. Kim says on December 9, 2013 at 5:12 am

I just noticed it’s 7 a.m., and I’ve made my first batch of these truffles. To begin, I’m not normally a truffle fan. But, when you said it was healthy with chocolate and mint, I was interested. When you shared the ingredients, and I actually had everything I need right here ready to stir together, I couldn’t wait another second to try it! Crazy? Maybe…HH might agree (he’s still asleep, though). I think I’ll be a truffle fan now. THESE truffles, anyway. They haven’t chilled thoroughly yet, but you said I could have a taste. ;-) You’re mom might be right – your readers’ most favorite thing. I’m hoping these will become more of an addiction than Hershey kisses and Reese’s peanut butter cups…since my hips really need the help to stop growing (yes, blogger’s behind!) I think it’s quite possible, because they are delicious – and so quick and easy to make! Thanks, Amy! :-)

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Kim, you write such sweet comments — I’m glowing again! :) I’m so happy you enjoyed the truffles, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with making them before 7 am! I’m right there with you about chocolate kisses (especially the dark chocolate ones) and PB cups. Blogging really can be hard on the hips and waistline, especially during these winter months when it’s too cold to exercise outside. I think I’m going to try to keep a small batch of these in the fridge at all times to combat those chocolate cravings. Hope your husband enjoys them too!

2. Gretchen @ Two Healthy Kitchens says on December 9, 2013 at 5:23 am

This post came into my life at the exact moment I needed it! I am SO far behind on my Christmas cookies this year – and these easy (yet super delicious and decadent!) truffles may just save the day! I have my list of cookies that I always make, but I usually make a new kind each year – and the simplicity of this one just put it at the top of my list! :) Thanks, Amy!! :)

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I’m so excited to hear that Gretchen! That’s so sweet of you to bake Christmas cookies for your loved ones, and I’m impressed that you bake a new variety each year. You must be everyone’s favorite person during the holiday season! :) I hope you and your family and friends enjoy the truffles!

3. Andrea says on December 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

Oh my goodness… I LOVE this!! What an interesting combo of ingredients… never would have thought those four simple items could make a truffle! Mint and chocolate is one of my most favorite favorite favorite flavor combos, so as soon as I have some apple sauce in my cupboard I’m making these healthy little bites!!

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thanks Andrea! I never would have thought so either, until I made those chocolate-filled wheat rolls. Such an epiphany moment! I like to keep those single-serving applesauce cups (the ones we used to take in our grade school lunches!) in the pantry. They’re just about the perfect size for a batch of these, and that way there isn’t a huge jar of unused applesauce in the fridge that turns moldy!

4. Karey @ Nutty About Health says on December 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Yay, these are Paleo-friendly & sound amazing!! I think I definitely need to make these for one of my holiday gatherings. They look really cute on the mini cupcake wrappers! Great job Amy!! :)

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Karey! I totally forgot that honey was Paleo-friendly. Thanks for reminding me! I really hope you and your loved ones enjoy the truffles! :)

5. Katy says on December 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I was reading through your comments on these truffles and I saw Gretchen mention that she was going to add them to her Christmas cookies and so I got to thinking that with a recipe as simple as that I am going to have to make them for my friends for their cookie trays. I usually make fudge but these definitely look like a much easier and healthier :) alternative. Thanks for the post Amy! I love all of your posts. :)

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thank you Katy; you’re so sweet! I’m impressed that you make fudge every holiday season. Ever since my first dry and crumbly batch in high school, I’m nervous every time I try! One of these days, I’ll overcome those nerves and hopefully come up with my own recipe. I really hope you and your friends enjoy the truffles!

6. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says on December 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I love this recipe. I think truffles made without cream are almost better – because they’re guilt free too!

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 11:11 pm

My thoughts exactly Dorothy! ;) It means I can eat more chocolate too — at least 3 of these for every one of brand-name truffles!

7. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen says on December 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Your peppermint truffles look divine!

• Amy says on December 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm

You’re so sweet Kristi; thank you! :)

8. Emma says on December 10, 2013 at 2:30 am

These look incredible Amy. YUM! perfect for the holidays (or anytime really) thanks for sharing :)

• Amy says on December 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Thank you Emma! Although I intended for these to be a holiday treat, I think you’re right — they’re perfect for any time. I just might start keeping a permanent stash in my fridge!

9. Dina says on December 10, 2013 at 7:15 am

these sound like great healthy truffles!

• Amy says on December 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Thank you Dina! They definitely are. :)

10. Brittany says on December 10, 2013 at 7:31 am

FOUR INGREDIENTS!?!?! I am sold!!! Actually I was sold at “dairy-free” obviously..but still!! THESE LOOK SO GOOD!! I am so glad you went to spend time with your mom, which led to shopping, which led to THESE!

• Amy says on December 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Thanks Brittany! I thought you might like these. :) Fun (and tasty) things often spring out of our mother-daughter time. Nothing like families and holiday desserts!

11. Lauren says on December 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Hi Amy,

I just found you through Foodgawker and am so happy I did! These look delicious! Chocolate and mint is my favorite flavor combo, so I’m looking forward to trying these soon!

• Amy says on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thank you Lauren! I love chocolate and mint too, although I need to start baking with it more often… I really hope you enjoy the truffles!

12. Angelie says on December 10, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hello Amy!

I would love to try this reipe but sadly it’s hard to find peppermint extract on my country :( Do you think it woll still taste good if I try to add in Lemon Extract or Almond Extact? :)

I’ve been loving baking ever since I stumbled upon your blog! :)

• Amy says on December 11, 2013 at 12:03 am

Your comment warmed my heart Angelie — I’m so touched to hear that my blog has helped foster your love of baking! You can use any extract you like in the truffles. I’d personally vote for almond extract because it’s my absolute favorite! I’d love to hear what extract you try and what you think of the truffles too!

13. Kim says on December 13, 2013 at 7:33 am

Amy, I’m linking to your post today – published a post about truffles, cookies, and ice cream. Thank you!!! :-)

• Amy says on December 13, 2013 at 11:44 am

Kim, you are just the sweetest person — thank you so much! :D

14. abbie says on December 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Just put my downsized bath of this in the fridge.
    I want to make sure it turns out well before I waste 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, so I cut the recipe down to 1/3.
    SO excited!! The batter tasted good, very dark but SO good! :)

• abbie says on December 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm

These are my new go-to chocolate and truffle cravings, except the downside is I have to wait for the mixture to set for like an hour, then roll the balls and place them in my freezer for another hour-ish. I like them because they ARE very much like a truffle, dark and flavorful, although a bit bitter. But I tend to like sweeter desserts :~)
      I think I will try sweetening them with liquid stevia, I just don’t have any……darn it.

Fantastic recipe though, will be whipping up another batch!

• Amy says on December 20, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Abbie, your sweet comments made my day! I’m so glad you like the truffles. :) To speed up the chilling process, try adding a touch less applesauce. That’ll make the initial mixture a little stiffer so you don’t need to wait quite so long! I’d love to hear how they turn out with liquid stevia too. My diabetic grandfather would really appreciate a sugar-free version!

15. Putry says on January 27, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Hi Amy!

First of all thank you for the great sharing. I have always wanted to try on any of your recipes but time are always not on my side. When I saw the healthy dark choc peppermint truffles (I luv anything to do with mint) & its quite an easy instructions, I set time aside & I have done it:) The only problem is I used hershey unsweetened cocoa powder & it turns out to be bitter & the shape is not as smooth as yours. Can you point out my mistakes please? Thank you! Have a pleasant day:)

• Amy says on January 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Hi Putry! I actually used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder as well. It’s important that you measure the cocoa correctly, using the spoon-and-level method (same as flour). This guide should help! If you use too much cocoa powder, the truffles’ texture would be dry and the taste much darker; I’m guessing that’s what happened. I hope your second batch turns out perfectly! :)