Some days are just bad days. The “I-slept-through-my-alarm” days. The “I-spilled-orange-juice-in-my-lap” days. The “I-stepped-in-old-chewing-gum” days. The “I-put-my-shirt-on-inside-out-and-went-to-the-office-like-that” days. The “I-drove-off-with-my-latte-on-the-car-roof” days.
And on those days, I crave steak tacos.
Don’t ask me how steak tacos became my comfort food of choice. I only ordered my first one within the past year; I grew up with the ground beef variety instead!
But when I sink my teeth into one of those simple soft tacos — just juicy seasoned steak with spicy tomato salsa — the little black raincloud above my head disappears. I smile again. The world will be better tomorrow.
I’m still slightly nervous to cook steak at home (read about my last experience here), so I came up with an alternative that didn’t have to reach 160° on the meat thermometer.
Super Easy Tofu Tacos
- 5.6 oz (2 servings) light extra-firm tofu
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 corn tortillas (small soft taco size)
- optional: salsa (to serve)
- Slice the tofu into 6 thin rectangles. Place on a double-thick layer of paper towels, and put another double-layer on top. Press down until the paper towels are soaked through with liquid. Repeat. Sprinkle each side of the tofu slices with the chili powder, gently rubbing it in.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium-low heat (do not use oil!). Lay the tofu slices into the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they turn golden. Remove from the heat, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Lightly coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray, and add the bell peppers. Season with the salt, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate, and heat on HIGH for 6-10 seconds or until warmed. Place ¼ of the tofu down the center of each tortilla, and top with ¼ of the bell peppers. Serve immediately with salsa (if using).