Skinny Almond Joy Frappuccino

An easy & healthy recipe for a homemade frappuccino that tastes exactly like the candy bar!

Every summer, starting in May and lasting until November, our town basically goes through menopause. The mood lifts as finals end, the energy level slows as college kids bolt home for vacation, and the locals experience a constant hot flash as the temperature shoots up to 100°+ and refuses to drop.

Although we’ve lived here for 6 years, I still haven’t gotten used to it—our fans whirring as fast as their blades will spin, our AC bills shooting through the roof, and the freezer always bursting at the seams with ice cream cartons and every imaginable popsicle flavor.

To avoid heat stroke and huge dehydration from my morning runs, I set my alarm for an ungodly hour to jog through the shaded neighborhoods before the devilish sun starts beating down on my shoulders. As long as my head hits the pillow at a reasonable time the night before, I rarely feel groggy for the rest of the day.

But last Friday, the house never cooled off, despite dueling fans blowing air through the bedroom, and I woke up sweating in the middle of the night. Too uncomfortable to fall back asleep, and with my mind spinning through grocery lists and recipe ideas, I laid awake for at least 3 hours before finally drifting off just as the birds began chirping to greet the sun.

Needless to say, when my alarm buzzed mere moments later, I felt like a zombie on autopilot pacing through my running route. When I unlaced my shoes at home, I immediately padded into the kitchen to make something cool and refreshing—and with a big caffeine boost to keep me awake!

In just a matter of minutes, I started gulping down this Skinny Almond Joy Frappuccino. Sweet and refreshing, with that irresistible combination of nutty almonds and tropical coconut, I almost felt like a little kid ripping open wrappers while in between houses on Halloween—it tasted exactly like the candy bar!

Although frappuccinos sound like a fancy coffee drink, they’re incredibly easy to make. As long as you have a blender—and remember to refill your ice cube trays the night before—you can easily mix up your own at home for a fraction of the cost! And then you can avoid the local coffee shops, where caffeine-deprived patrons line up to recite their orders and practically lunge at the counter as the barista sings out their drink. (Although maybe that’s just the norm for college kids in my town…)

For the signature almond and coconut flavors, I turned to a new product: Silk Coconut Almond Milk Blend. (No, this isn’t a sponsored post; I just really enjoyed it after making my popsicles!) It contains only 50 calories per cup, and Silk managed to find the perfect light balance of the two flavors.

But after mixing in the double-strength coffee and cocoa powder, they slightly masked the delicate almond and coconut taste. To compensate, I added a few drops of almond and coconut extracts to really bump up their flavor. You can find both on the baking aisle near the vanilla extract. They’re shelf-stable and keep for ages, and you can make these, this, these, these, these, and these with the leftovers!

For my healthy frapppuccinos, I prefer to blend the coffee, milk, and cocoa powder first before adding the ice. Yes, even with my powerful high-speed blender! Cocoa powder often tends to clump when added to liquids, so a few quick pulses before dropping in the ice helps prevent that. Then add those ice cubs and sweetener, and blend until it’s smooth.

Now for the best part… The chocolate on top! Finely chop a little bit of dark chocolate or miniature chocolate chips, and sprinkle that over the finished frappuccino. I prefer adding it as a garnish on top instead of inside the drink because it easily gets lost among the ice—and it could potentially clog the straw if not broken up by the blender blades!

Easy and refreshing, this Skinny Almond Joy Frappuccino is the perfect mid-morning pick-me-up or late afternoon treat to satisfy your candy cravings—with a bonus caffeine boost! Its trio of familiar flavors—chocolate, coconut, and almond—are rich and balanced. Even better, each large 16 oz serving contains barely 50 calories, which is 30 calories less than the fun-sized candy bar!

I’ll definitely drink to that.

If you like this recipe, then check out my http://www.pinterest.com/amybakeshealthy/healthy-drink-up/” target=”_blank”>Healthy Drinks board on Pinterest!

Skinny Almond Joy Frappuccino

Yield: 1 frappuccino

Skinny Almond Joy Frappuccino

This blended coffee drink tastes exactly like the candy bar! The combination of chocolate, coconut, and almond flavors pair perfectly together in this large frappuccino.

¾ c double-strength coffee, chilled
½ c Silk Coconut Almond Blend
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c ice cubes
sweetener, to taste (such as Stevia, Swerve, Truvia, etc.)
½ tsp miniature chocolate chips or dark chocolate, chopped

1. Add coffee, milk, cocoa powder, and extracts to a blender. Pulse until well combined, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add the ice and sweetener (if using). Blend until smooth and no large ice chunks remain. Pour into a glass, sprinkle with the chopped chocolate, and serve immediately.

Notes: To prepare the double-strength coffee, I used 2 teaspoons of instant coffee crystals mixed with ¾ cup water.

To help prevent the frappuccino from separating, add 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum along with the ice.

You may also like…

Comments

1. Heather says on July 16, 2014 at 7:15 am

Awesome! I love Almond Joys and Fraps but do not love the calorie load that usually comes with them. Thanks for the alternative!

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 8:39 am

Thanks Heather! I’m the same way; if I wanted all of those calories, I’d probably pick a slice of chocolate cake instead! ;)

2. Helen @ Scrummy Lane says on July 16, 2014 at 7:25 am

I’m very impressed as this definitely doesn’t look like a low-calorie drink! I bet you’ll be hoping to feel a little groggy in the mornings now sometimes so that you have an excuse to have another one of these!
    I totally hear you on the heat thing. I lived in Greece for years where the temperature often reaches 40C in July and August. During the first years I was there I didn’t even have air con, which was absolutely torture at times.
    Anyway, love this drink. I don’t make this kind of thing nearly often enough! :-)

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 8:41 am

You caught me Helen — I’ll take just about any excuse I can for drinking a frappuccino, even if it means not quite enough sleep! ;) I can imagine that although it must have been the experience of a lifetime to live in Greece, no cooling system could make it miserable. Thank goodness for modern technology!

3. cheri says on July 16, 2014 at 8:37 am

Great flavor this combination, hard to believe it’s not loaded with tons of calories, but it isn’t. Love your presentation!

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 8:41 am

Thanks Cheri! :)

4. FaveHealthyRecipes says on July 16, 2014 at 9:21 am

YUM – looks like a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth and cool down on a hot, summer day!

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Thank you! And you definitely got that part right about the hot summer day. I’m already wishing fall would arrive! ;)

5. Jules says on July 16, 2014 at 9:53 am

I can’t believe this has LESS calories than a fun sized candy bar?! That’s insane. Almond Joys are my favorite candy bar! I wonder, if you don’t have the Silk blend, could you use coffee creamer instead? I have the Almond Joy creamer :) Maybe a mixture of creamer and milk?

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm

They make Almond Joy creamer?? That’s incredible! I don’t usually use creamer in my coffee, so I’m totally out of that loop. I think if you used about 1 tablespoon of creamer and the rest skim milk, it should work! The nutrition information will probably change and be a little closer to the fun-sized candy bar, but given the choice between a small Almond Joy and a huge 16 oz frappuccino, I know which one I’d choose! ;)

6. Mary Frances says on July 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm

You rock for actually running in the summer. I gave up :) I just do workouts inside because I cannot make myself do it early! If my evenings weren’t full, I would do it then, but whatever :) We will see if my motivation continues til fall!
    Oh my gosh, Almond Joy is my favorite candy bar ever! I adore coconut and the idea of a coffee drink with both almond and coconut … wow, summer perfection. Pinning!

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Thanks Mary Frances! I couldn’t bear giving up running. I was out for 3 months during the spring with a knee injury, so I’m not taking any of my running days for granted. Even if I do wake up early and nearly get sunburned on every one! ;) I didn’t realize Almond Joys were your favorite candy bar! Definitely going to try to remember that little tidbit for the future — and thanks for pinning!

7. Andrea says on July 16, 2014 at 4:30 pm

YUM! I love me some almond joy… but not the calories! I’ve been putting lowfat soy in my earl grey DAILY for several months now… I never get tired of it! But I really want to try this almond-coconut blend, it sounds amazing!

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Great minds totally think alike Andrea — or maybe you just sent me the brainwaves to make this! ;) I actually really liked this almond-coconut blend, a lot more than I expected. I don’t usually like the almond taste in almond milk, but the coconut really balanced it out!

8. Dorothy @ Crazy for crust says on July 16, 2014 at 6:40 pm

LOL it goes through menopause. I feel like that in summer here for sure. All the hot flashes!

This frap. OMG!

• Amy says on July 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for pinning Dorothy! ;) And I totally figured you’d relate to the Sac menopause thing. It sounds like the temperatures are even higher where you are — SO awful! It must’ve been so hard to photograph your ice cream week posts without everything melting into a gigantic puddle in 2 seconds flat!

9. Thalia @ butter and brioche says on July 17, 2014 at 1:37 am

another delicious recipe Amy! Definitely giving this a go.. ive got plenty of almond milk in the fridge!

• Amy says on July 17, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Thalia, and I really hope you enjoy it! I’ve made one multiple days in a row; they’re the perfect thing for a warm summer day. ;)

10. Laura@Baking in Pyjamas says on July 17, 2014 at 3:53 am

Definitely going to make this, could I use almond milk instead of coconut? Looks delicious! Pinned.

• Amy says on July 17, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for the pin Laura! You could definitely use almond milk instead of the almond-coconut blend. You’ll may need extra coconut extract, but that really depends on your tastes. I’m excited to hear what you think! :)

11. Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens says on July 17, 2014 at 5:50 am

Oh, Amy! I know you made this just for me (lol)! Combine my coffee obsession with by Almond Joy obsession and you have … this amazingly perfectly awesome recipe! What can I say? I’m sending you a ginormous hug and hurrying to pin this like crazy!!! :D

• Amy says on July 17, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Yes, I did Shelley!! I thought of you while making (and drinking) this frapp. I know you love your Almond Joys — your oatmeal has been one of my favorite creative ideas! Huge hugs back, and thank you so much for pinning! :)

12. Jocelyn@Brucrewlife says on July 24, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Oh boy, I’ve got to make one of these ASAP! It sounds beyond amazing! :) And your menopause comment made me laugh!

• Amy says on July 24, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Thanks Jocelyn! If you try it, I really hope you like it. :)