I met the love of my life in high school. Tall, dark, and handsome, he teased me from across the room at a birthday party, tempting me to come closer. A shy girl, I blushed and looked away, but I eventually mustered up enough courage to walk across the room. I approached, smiling, and…
I took a really big bite.
He wasn’t the star QB of the football team or the drum major in the marching band—he was a piece of chocolate cake! 6 layers of moist cake with 6 layers of fudgy chocolate frosting… My idea of perfection!
But alas, the romance was not meant to be… The chocolate cake came from Costco, and I’m not a member! So we parted ways after the birthday celebration ended, never to see each other again.
Until last summer, when I discovered that my local grocery store sells individual slices of a 6-layer chocolate cake too! They aren’t quite as rich or fudgy, but at least I don’t need a membership just to buy a slice.
So to celebrate my blog’s new makeover, I knew I had to make my own decadent chocolate cake. And with frosting this fudgy, it’s a miracle any of it made it onto the cake… While waiting for the cake to bake, I ended up eating lots of the frosting with a spoon!
And when you make your own, remember to snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #amyshealthybaking and tagging @amyshealthybaking IN the photo itself! (That guarantees I’ll see your picture! 😊) I’d love to see your cake!
|Fudgy Chocolate Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Frosting|| || |
- fudgy chocolate cake (modified from this recipe)
- 1⅔ cups (200g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 1 cup (80g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (192g) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (360g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (120g) unsweetened applesauce
- fudgy chocolate frosting (modified from this recipe)
- 2 oz unsweetened Baker’s chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- To prepare the cake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat the bottoms of two 9”-round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour, and line with wax paper. Once pressed into the bottoms of the pans, lightly coat the wax paper with the nonstick cooking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together the yogurt and applesauce.
- Whisk the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring just until incorporated. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans, and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and peeling the wax paper off of the bottom. Cool completely to room temperature.
- To prepare the frosting, place the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat on HIGH in the microwave for 20-second intervals, stirring well after each, until the chocolate melts. Spoon the condensed milk into a separate bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 15-20 seconds or until slightly warmed.
- Pour the condensed milk and cocoa powder into the melted chocolate, and stir until thoroughly mixed. Place in the refrigerator to chill, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble the cake, spread half the frosting across the top of one of the layers, and plate the second layer on top. Spread the remaining frosting over top of the second layer, allowing some to drip decoratively down the sides. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before serving.