Snap, Crackle, Pop. What little kid doesn’t know these three iconic words? Coupled with the adorable characters on the front of the box, a big bowl of Rice Krispies in milk sure brought magic to my childhood mornings – my cereal talked to me! Sometimes in the afternoons, we made those yummy rice krispie treats. Even then, when we poured the hot marshmallow goop on the cereal, it snapped, crackled, and popped away. And since it’s been raining a lot lately, what better way to improve these simple goodies than with a little rainbow surprise?
Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats
makes 24 treats
6 c. rice krispies cereal
3 c. fruity pebbles cereal
1½ (10.5 oz) bags of mini marshmallows, divided
4½ tbsp butter, divided
- Coat the insides of a 13”x9” cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour fruity pebbles into a medium bowl and rice krispies into a separate large bowl.
- Melt 1½ tbsp butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add 5 oz (half of a bag) of mini-marshmallows, and stir constantly with a spatula until melted.
- Pour marshmallow goop over fruity pebbles and stir with the spatula to coat. Turn out into the cake pan, coat hands with the non-stick spray, and gently press fruity pebbles into a thin, even layer.
- Place remaining butter in saucepan, melt, and add remaining marshmallows (1 bag), stirring until melted. Use a clean spatula!
- Pour this marshmallow goop over the rice krispies, stir to coat, and turn into pan on top of fruity pebbles. Coat hands with non-stick spray and gently press into an even layer.
- Once cool, cut rice krispie treats into 24 bars. Can be stored for 2-3 days, but they taste best freshly made!