With the wind whipping our hair around our faces, my high school friend and I climbed the streets of San Francisco. We had already meandered around the Westfield Mall, spotted movie producers filming behind the Ferry Building, and nibbled on free samples of caramel-filled milk chocolates in Ghirardelli Square. To end the evening, we rode the bus to Japantown for sashimi, sushi rolls, and crêpes.
We stood outside Belly Good Café & Crêpes, staring at the menu board for at least 10 minutes (I may have timed it). Too many tempting options! When we picked up our desserts, we laughed — they turned everything into a happy face! Hers looked like a teddy bear with cereal for the ears and chocolate chips for the eyes and nose. (You can see more of their other cute faces here!)
I plowed through my simple strawberry and nutella crêpe and nearly ordered another one, but the price tag stopped me. Instead, I resolved to make my own at home, so here’s my version — although it doesn’t look nearly as cute as their bear-faced ones!
Healthy Strawberry Nutella Crêpes
- ½ cup (60g) white whole wheat flour or gluten-free* flour (measured like this
- ½ tsp coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Ener-G (see Notes!)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) warm water
- ⅔ cup (160mL) unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 8 medium strawberries thinly sliced
- 4 tsp homemade Nutella (or regular store-bought Nutella!)
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl, whisk together the Ener-G and warm water. Pour into the flour mixture, along with the milk and vanilla. Whisk the batter until smooth, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat an 8” pan coated with nonstick cooking spray over low heat. Using ¼ cup of batter at a time, pour into the center of the pan, and quickly swirl to evenly distribute the batter over the entire bottom of the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the top of the crêpe dulls in color. Carefully flip the crêpe, and cook for another 30-60 seconds on the other side. Spread 2 strawberries’ slices across half of the crêpe, drizzle with 1 teaspoon of Nutella, and fold in half. Repeat with the remaining batter and fillings.