The summer before my senior year of high school, a friend and I organized a Halloween party to be held in the beginning of August. Since October 31 is often chilly and rainy, we thought it’d be fun to celebrate when the weather was still nice—and thankfully, everyone else in our circle of friends agreed!
Our friends came dressed in costume, and we prepared all kinds of cute Halloween sweets, like caramel covered apples, chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting, and chocolate-dipped pretzels covered with bat-shaped sprinkles. We even watched “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (the only type of “scary” movie I can handle)!
Partway through the evening, we filled a big cooler with water, and we added plenty of small green apples. None of us had ever bobbed for apples before, so we thought it’d be fun to try!
After just a few minutes, we realized why none of us had tried… It’s so much harder than it sounds! The apples scoot and roll and shimmy around the water as soon as you touch them. Most of us ended up just trying to bite the stem to lift an apple out of the water, but one guy actually managed to sink his teeth into the apple’s flesh—and we were completely amazed!
That night of fun taught me two things… (a) I love apples and (b) I don’t want to work very hard to eat one! Which is why I love this super easy Healthy Cinnamon Apple Banana Bread! It requires very little effort (no mixer required!), and it’s full of sweet fruit and cozy spices. Fall flavor perfection!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CINNAMON APPLE BANANA BREAD
This simple recipe starts with whole wheat flour (or gluten-free, if you prefer!), along with lots of cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg. This is my current favorite cinnamon. It has a bolder, slightly sweeter flavor than the cinnamon I grew up using. I’m obsessed! And that little pinch of nutmeg makes a huge difference. It rounds out and deepens the spice flavor, making this quick bread absolutely irresistible! Which could be dangerous… If you ask me…
With just ½ tablespoon of butter or coconut oil (yes, that’s it!), the rest of this loaf’s tender texture comes from Greek yogurt and mashed banana. If you’ve been around my blog for a while, you know how much I ♡ Greek yogurt! It’s packed full of protein, and it adds the same moisture to your baked goods as extra butter or oil would.
As for the bananas, pick the ripest and spottiest ones you can find! The ones that are more brown than yellow are my favorite for baking. They contain more natural sweetness than their pure yellow friends, which means you only need to add a couple tablespoons of pure maple syrup (like this)!
Hopefully you don’t have to work as hard to get your apples as we did at our Halloween party! I prefer baking with red Fuji apples because they’re so sweet and firm, but just about any apple will work. Cut it into small pieces about the same size as chocolate chips to ensure your banana bread bakes evenly!
How does that look for a cozy breakfast treat? ♡ And when you make your own, remember to snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #amyshealthybaking and tagging @amyshealthybaking IN the photo itself! (That guarantees I’ll see your picture! 🙂 ) I’d love to see your healthy cinnamon apple banana bread!
Healthy Cinnamon Apple Banana Bread
- 2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour or gluten free* flour (measured like this)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp (7g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup (200g) mashed banana (about 2 medium – see Notes!)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) pure maple syrup (see Notes!)
- ¼ cup (60mL) nonfat milk
- 1 ⅓ cups (167g) finely diced apple (see Notes!)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5” baking pan with foil, and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the mashed Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps remain. Mix in the mashed banana and maple syrup. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.) Reserve ½ tablespoon of the diced apple, and gently fold in the rest.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and gently press the reserved apple pieces into the top of the batter. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully lifting out the loaf by the foil and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
View Nutrition Information + Weight Watchers Points
You may also like Amy’s other recipes…
♡ Healthy Cinnamon Apple Pancakes
♡ Healthy Simple Cinnamon Apple Cake
♡ Healthier Cinnamon Apple Beer Bread
♡ The Ultimate Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
♡ Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
♡ Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Mini Muffins
♡ …and all of Amy’s healthy banana bread recipes!