Skinny Single-Serving Microwave Brownie

An easy recipe for a decadent clean-eating brownie made with just 6 ingredients & in under 10 minutes! Unbelievably chocolaty & irresistibly fudgy.

A rich, fudgy brownie you can make in under 10 minutes! It's the perfect skinny & clean-eating treat!

A year ago while still at my previous job, I drove home from work with intense stress-induced chocolate cravings at least one night each week. Those persistent desires demanded more than a kid-sized Starbucks hot chocolate or a small square of Hershey’s Special Dark. They required a thick slice of decadent chocolate cake, usually supplied by the Safeway bakery a quarter-mile away from our house.

Once inside, I sped straight to the back of the store, bypassing the front of their cake display filled with cupcakes and cheesecakes to scour the back. I skipped past their square two-layer pieces; those tasted too milky and had slightly runny frosting. Instead, I scrutinized every single triangular slice of their tall six-layer dark chocolate cake, always selecting the biggest one practically bursting out of the seams of its plastic package.

I slowly savored two layers each night, nibbling at mouse-sized bites to make my chocolate therapy last as long as possible. By the time I swallowed the final morsel on the third day, I felt the stress melt away like the fudgy frosting on my tongue, and it motivated me to tackle another round of papers at work.

But then…

Then came the night that Safeway sold the last slice before I could claim it. Another customer walked out with my consolation cake, and I arrived home almost in tears. I had been depending on eating it all day! At the distraught look on my face, my guy asked what was wrong, and after I sniffled out a sad answer, he slipped his car keys into his pocket while I snuggled into a fuzzy blanket on the couch to watch reruns of “Top Chef.”

Right as the episode ended 45 minutes later, he pulled open the front door. Without telling me, he had driven to the opposite side of town to search the other Safeway’s cake selection, and after finding no six-layer slices, he then bravely stopped by the newly opened Whole Foods downtown. He jockeyed his way through the indecisive college kids wandering the store, patiently standing in the bakery line to order two gourmet chocolate cupcakes.

After offering him a few bites of each, I finished both cupcakes that night. Two chocolate cupcakes = two layers of chocolate cake, right?

Once I left that job to blog full-time, fewer days demand a stress-relief slice of six-layer chocolate cake. On the rare occasion my chocolate cravings spiral out of control, I usually bake a pan of my favorite fudgy chocolate brownies instead. And yet… That’s almost just as dangerous. With no self-control around chocolate, I’m always tempted to eat all 16 by myself, especially the four fudgiest ones in the center!

Because those brownies also require lots of cooling time, I decided to create a quicker recipe—preferably ready in under 10 minutes—with only one serving, making it impossible for me to overeat. And after a weekend of experimenting and rounds of testing, I finally perfected the dessert.

This Skinny Single-Serving Microwave Brownie packs a huge chocolate punch, full of incredible fudginess and irresistible decadence. Its smooth texture simply melted in my mouth, completely satisfying my dark chocolate cravings. Despite its deeply rich flavor, it’s still a low-fat and low-calorie treat!

You only need 5 ingredients (plus water) to make this easy dessert, and I guarantee you store most of them in your pantry right now! Cocoa powder, whole wheat flour, yogurt, agave, and vanilla. Containing only these few wholesome healthy ingredients, this skinny brownie is clean-eating friendly and completely guilt-free.

Most microwave mug cake or mug brownie recipes call for both a tablespoon of butter and an egg yolk. That’s 157 calories and 16 grams of fat alone, not including the other ingredients—and it’s supposed to be a single serving! My recipe requires neither, but it’s still just as rich and fudgy because I added a lot more liquid ingredients than dry. More liquid ingredients = moister and fudgier brownies.

Just like my ultimate healthy fudgy cocoa brownies, this brownie solely depends on cocoa powder for its decadent chocolate flavor. Other recipes require melting chocolate bars or chips, but not this one! That demands too much time for a quick brownie fix, and it also creates another dish to wash—no thank you! But because I added more cocoa powder than flour in this skinny treat, the intense chocolate flavor really shines.

Similar to my other brownie recipes, you’ll mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another, and combine them together before pouring into a ramekin. I do not advise mixing everything in the ramekin. Because this recipe contains very little fat, you’ll need to lightly mist the ramekin with nonstick cooking spray before adding in the batter to prevent the brownie from sticking.

To create extra fudgy brownies, I always bake them low and slow in the oven, so I applied a similar technique to the microwave. Cook the brownie batter at 40% power (low) for 2 minutes 15 seconds (slow-ish) to ensure it stays dense and moist. Do not microwave it on HIGH like with other mug recipes! The edges will overcook while the center stays raw.

If the center still looks slightly underdone after microwaving, that’s okay! It will continue to cook through as it cools, resulting in a perfectly fudgy brownie. (And even if it doesn’t, it’s still safe because it lacks eggs, so you can’t get salmonella!)

Look at that gorgeous fudginess! After only 5 minutes of measuring, 2+ minutes of cooking, and 3 minutes of cooling, you can savor a decadent Skinny Single-Serving Microwave Brownie too. That’s just 10 minutes to make a sinfully rich, secretly healthy dessert!

Ready to make your own?

Skinny Single-Serving Microwave Brownie

Yield: 1 brownie

Skinny Single-Serving Microwave Brownie

This brownie is so dark and fudgy! It’ll satisfy any decadent dark chocolate cravings in a heartbeat. If preparing more than one, microwave the ramekins individually.

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (measured correctly)
1 ½ tbsp whole wheat flour (measured correctly)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 tsp agave
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

1. Lightly coat a 1-cup ramekin with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa and flour. In a separate bowl, stir together the water, yogurt, agave, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring just until incorporated.
  3. Pour the batter into the prepared ramekin, gently shaking back and forth until the top is smooth. Microwave at 40% POWER for 2 minutes and 15 seconds (2:15). Let the brownie sit for at least 3 minutes before eating.

Notes: Regular or non-dairy yogurt may be substituted for the Greek yogurt. Maple syrup or honey may be substituted for the agave.

Although the brownie may not appear to be full cooked, it will continue to bake through while it sits for the final 3 minutes. Even so, there are no eggs in this recipe, so there’s no salmonella to worry about!

Alternative baking method: Bake in a conventional oven at 300°F for about 10 minutes. The center should still look slightly glossy and underdone, but it will continue to cook through as it cools.

You may also like…

Ooey Gooey Rolo Brownies | by Foods for the Soul
Fudgy Rolo Brownies

These fudgy brownies are SO rich & decadent! No one would ever guess they're secretly skinny & low fat. You'll never use another recipe again!
The Ultimate Healthy Fudgy Cocoa Brownies

An easy, no-mixer-required recipe for skinny dark chocolate cupcakes. They taste so decadent -- you can't tell they're lightened up at all!
Skinny Double Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

Comments

1. Joanna says on February 13, 2014 at 10:42 am

Sounds like perfection to me!! :) xo

• Amy says on February 13, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Thanks Joanna! :)

2. Katy says on February 13, 2014 at 2:43 pm

These look so nice and easy to make! I just made your raspberry truffles and they are too die for!!! On top of that they were just way too easy to make! ;) Thanks!

• Amy says on February 13, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Aww Katy, you just made my day — thank you for your sweet comment! I’m so happy you enjoyed the truffles. :) Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day dear friend!

3. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life says on February 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Amy — these look fabulous! I’ve gotta make them!

• Amy says on February 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Sheila! I really hope you enjoy the brownie! :)

4. Charmaine (The Party DIY) says on February 14, 2014 at 3:17 pm

These brownies look so good, and the fact that their made in the microwave is amazing!

• Amy says on February 14, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Thanks Charmaine! Nothing beats the ease and convenience of the microwave, especially when it comes to quick desserts. ;)

5. Consuelo @ Honey & Figs says on February 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm

It is taking me so much self-control not to go and make myself one of this right now ;–) Oh girl, it looks so fudgy and decadent that I cannot believe how healthy it is ;–)
    Have a fantastic weekend <3

• Amy says on February 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Consuelo! You have much better self-control than me; I’ve made one almost every night this week. And it’s Valentine’s Day, which means extra chocolate, so… ;) Have a lovely weekend too, sweet friend!

6. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking says on February 20, 2014 at 1:09 pm

This looks insanely good – better than a lot of unhealthy brownies I see! I can wait to try it out! I’m sure my Husband will be happy that will-power is option at this brownie party!

• Amy says on February 20, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Lindsey! Your husband and I are definitely in the same boat. I have NO will-power whatsoever when it comes to chocolate, especially decadent dark chocolate brownies. ;) I can’t wait to hear what you and he think about this one!

7. Jennifer says on February 20, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I have no comment about the brownie, but hold on to that guy.

• Amy says on February 20, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I will Jennifer! He’s a real sweetheart and a true blessing. I’m lucky to have him!

8. Sarah says on February 21, 2014 at 6:43 am

Oh my gosh – this is genius! I made it last night, but only had half the cocoa powder needed so I sort of halved the recipe and it worked perfectly. I made some other changes based on what I had – light original Pure Silk Almondmilk (that stuff is crack!) instead of yogurt, and then 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar instead of the agave and vanilla. I will DEFINITELY be making this again. Loved the idea and it tasted so wonderful. Great to share with a boyfriend or loved one, especially after an awesome workout. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

• Amy says on February 21, 2014 at 10:01 pm

You’re so sweet Sarah, and I’m really excited that you enjoyed the brownie! Your modifications sound great, and it’s good to know that the almond milk worked in place of yogurt. Thanks for sharing! :)

9. Susan says on February 22, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Hi Amy! This looks great! I am definitely going to make this (my hubby has a serious chocolate problem but this looks quite healthy). I like to use my microwave to actually cook as well as just heating/defrosting things! Just a quick question: what is the power rating of your microwave? Mine is 650W so I think I might have to increase the cooking time a bit (I have a conversion table).

Thanks!

• Amy says on February 22, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Thanks Susan! My microwave is a 900W, so hopefully your conversion table helps. You’re really sweet to make healthier chocolate treats for your husband, and he must really appreciate that sweet gesture. I can’t wait to hear what you think of the brownie!

• Susan says on February 22, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Thanks Amy!

10. Ksenija says on February 24, 2014 at 9:36 am

I absolutely love your version of this easy and quick brownie. I’ve just poster one recipe for brownie as well.Please check my attempts on making baking healthy on my blog http://www.heelsandbuns.com

x

K

• Amy says on February 24, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Thank you! It’s always fun to meet someone else who enjoys healthy baking. :)

11. Shannon says on February 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I just made this tonight and alas, in addition to overcooking it so it was pretty chewy, I found it to be a little tasteless. Next time I might toss in some chocolate chips or dried cherries. Or stop kidding myself and just eat something with more calories and sweetness, cause that’s where my heart’s really at.

• Amy says on February 26, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I’m sorry it didn’t turn out for you Shannon; that must have been disappointing. Did you make sure to cook it at 40% power? If your microwave is above 1000W, it may be better to lower it to 30% instead. I hope the brownie tastes better the next time if you try it again!

12. amy c. says on March 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I thought the texture was pretty great, but I wished it was sweeter. That being said, I didn’t maybe measure as accurately as I should have. Maybe too much cocoa? I could tweak the sweetener a touch and be satisfied. I’m happy with recipe though. Thank you for sharing!

• Amy says on March 5, 2014 at 12:01 am

You’re welcome Amy; I’m glad you enjoyed it! Did you lightly spoon the cocoa into the measuring spoons like with flour? It’s really easy to forget and pack it in. I’m guilty of doing that all the time — I just love chocolate so much! ;) I also prefer my chocolate and brownies fairly dark, so it could be that as well. You could still add in a little extra sweetener, and it shouldn’t affect the texture or microwave time. I’d love to hear how your modifications turn out if you try it again!

13. Andrea says on March 11, 2014 at 8:35 pm

A great base recipe but like others it was way too bitter for my taste. I may try experimenting with applesauce or more honey to sweeten it up a bit. The texture was good though on mine and even though I have a lower power microwave, it wasn’t too moist. Thanks for the recipe.

• Amy says on March 12, 2014 at 12:24 am

My pleasure, Andrea! I like your idea of playing with applesauce; you could easily substitute that in place of the yogurt. And you should be able to add more sweetener without affecting the texture or microwave time. I sometimes forget that not everybody likes their brownies quite as dark as I do, so I’m really glad you’re willing to tweak my recipe and try it again! :)

14. Andrea2 says on April 8, 2014 at 6:14 am

I don’t have a microwave…. can you still bake it low and slow?

• Amy says on April 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I haven’t tried it myself, but I’m almost positive it should work! I’d suggest 300°F, and check it after about 10-12 minutes or so. When the brownie is done baking, the center should still look slightly glossy and underdone, but it’ll continue to cook through as it cools in the ramekin. I’m excited to hear how it turns out for you Andrea!

15. Molly says on April 11, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Can how make this in an oven? If so, how much time and temperature?

• Amy says on April 11, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I haven’t tried it myself Molly, but I think baking it in a regular oven should work! I’d suggest 300°F, and check it after about 10 minutes. When the brownie is done, the center should still look slightly glossy and underdone. It’ll continue to bake through as the brownie cools in the ramekin, and this ensures it stays extra fudgy. I’m excited to hear how that works if you try it! :)

• Molly says on April 16, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I tried it just like you said and it came out great :)

• Amy says on April 16, 2014 at 9:23 pm

That’s wonderful Molly! Did it take any longer than 10 minutes at 300°F?

16. bronny says on April 25, 2014 at 11:16 am

Oh my word where has this website been all my life? Thank you Amy!!!

• Amy says on April 25, 2014 at 12:27 pm

You’re welcome; glad you stopped by! :)

17. Anna says on April 29, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Best microwave dessert I’ve ever made!!! I loved it! Thanks for posting! :)

• Amy says on April 29, 2014 at 10:59 pm

You’re welcome Anna; I’m so happy you enjoyed it! :)

18. Anonymous says on May 15, 2014 at 6:22 am

Is it vital to use the wheat flour, not the simple, common flour? Also, I don’t have agave. Is there anything I could substitute for that?

• Amy says on May 15, 2014 at 8:59 pm

You can substitute regular all-purpose flour for the whole wheat if you prefer! And honey or maple syrup would work in place of the agave instead. I hope you enjoy the brownie! :)

19. Aln says on May 26, 2014 at 2:28 pm

What is the texture supposed to be like? I made these today and they came out a bit rubbery…almost like a solid pudding of sorts. I substituted honey for the agave and put a tiny bit less cocoa, after seeing in other comments that 2 tbs. might be bitter. I also used a small glass dish instead of a ramekin. Could any of these changes have resulted in a different texture? The flavor was very good though, and I will probably make it again

• Amy says on May 26, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I’m so sorry; that must have been really disappointing! The texture is supposed to be fudgy, not rubbery. My first guess would be that the brownie was slightly over-baked, which is easy to do since many microwaves vary in power (aka wattage). As long as you remembered to cook it on 40% power, I’d suggest reducing the amount of time by about 20 seconds and seeing if that helps. How large was your glass dish, and how wide and tall was your brownie? If the brownie was relatively wide and flat, instead of smaller and taller, that could’ve produced a rubbery texture too. It could also be because honey is thicker than agave, which could have thrown off the texture as well. I hope one of these solves the mystery and your next brownie turns out much better!

1. […] peanut butter and egg whites. A lot better for you, but they kinda taste like cardboard sometimes. THIS RECIPE DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CARDBOARD. IT TASTES LIKE BEAUTIFUL DELICIOUS FUDGINESS. I just added an egg white to it so it would get a little fluffier and cooked it a couple seconds […]