One afternoon last week, my mom arranged to pick up a rental car to drive to the airport for her upcoming business trip, so I offered to take her across town. That’s one of the many things I love about having Amy’s Healthy Baking as my full-time job—the flexibility to take time off midweek without needing to check in with a boss!
As we cruised across town, our drive elongated by hitting at least half of the stoplights red, we chatted about the past few days, like Mom’s exciting new projects at work and trips to the vet for her dog. He’s nearly due for a booster shot, and as someone who strongly dislikes needles, I’m not one bit jealous!
When we started to pass by the Trader Joe’s parking lot, Mom asked what I planned to bake to share with you. I revealed a few recipe ideas, including a couple of banana-themed treats, which made Mom laugh.
“Two of your three grandmas keep sending you home with bananas!” she exclaimed. “You better hope that your last one doesn’t trick me into packing some in my suitcase when I see her on this business trip!”
I chuckled along with her, and as soon as I arrived back home after dropping her off, I turned two of those six bananas into this Healthy Strawberry Pecan Banana Bread! It’s supremely tender and full of sweet fruit flavor, and it’s perfect for quick breakfasts or snacks—especially since it contains no butter, refined flour or sugar and only 117 calories!
To make this “skinny” banana bread, you’ll need two really ripe, very speckled bananas. I prefer ones with more brown than yellow color because they’re much sweeter with a stronger fruit flavor. They also provide a lot of moisture to the batter, so you only need 1 ½ teaspoons of coconut oil and no egg yolks!
For the rest of this banana bread’s tender texture, you’ll mix in a bit of Greek yogurt. It’s one of my favorite ingredients! It adds the same moisture as extra butter or oil for a fraction of the calories, and with around 21g of protein per cup, it gives your baked goods a protein boost, too.
Then you’ll just need a few more key healthy ingredients: whole wheat flour, pure maple syrup (like this!) to boost the natural sweetness, fresh strawberries, and pecans. To ensure your banana bread bakes evenly—and that every bite contains berries!—cut both the strawberries and pecans to be about the same size as miniature chocolate chips. I know that takes a little extra time, but I promise it’s worth it!
How yummy does that look?? And when you make your own, remember to snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #amyshealthybaking and tagging @amyshealthybaking IN the photo itself! (That guarantees I’ll see your picture! 🙂 ) I’d love to see your healthy strawberry pecan banana bread!
Healthy Strawberry Pecan Banana Bread
- 2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour or gluten-free* flour (measured like this)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp (7g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup (200g) mashed banana (about 2 medium – see Notes!)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60mL) nonfat milk
- 1 cup (140g) whole fresh strawberries, finely diced
- 3 tbsp (21g) finely diced pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5” baking pan with foil, and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the mashed Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps remain. Mix in the mashed banana and maple syrup. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.) Reserve ½ tablespoon of the diced strawberries, and gently fold in the rest along with the pecans.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and gently press the reserved strawberries into the top of the batter. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully lifting out the loaf by the foil and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
View Nutrition Information + Weight Watchers Points
You may also like Amy’s other recipes…
♡ Healthy Zucchini Banana Bread
♡ Healthy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
♡ The Ultimate Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
♡ Healthy Raspberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Brownies
♡ Healthy Strawberry Banana Bread Oatmeal Cookies
♡ Healthy Strawberry Banana Poppy Seed Muffins
♡ Strawberry Banana Bread Protein Overnight Oats
♡ Healthy Strawberry Banana Muffins