While I was in high school, my parents joined a small country club in our town, tucked away into a quiet neighborhood up in the hills. They chose a simple pool and tennis membership because Mom mainly wanted a peaceful place to swim laps, and rambunctious kids always splashed around the city pool during the summer!
As part of every membership, the country club required that each family spent a certain amount of money at its dining facilities each quarter. They hosted a fancy buffet brunch on the last Sunday of every month, which we often attended, and during the summer, we sometimes ordered grilled cheese sandwiches and chef’s salads from the grill next to the pool.
Yet my parents only recently discovered that their membership included 24-hour access to the country club’s fitness center! Although fairly small and only slightly larger than a typical hotel gym, it contained a treadmill, elliptical trainers, and a decent number of weight machines.
While spending time with my parents earlier this very rainy month, I decided to stop by the fitness center and do my daily walk on their treadmill instead of braving the downpour outside with an umbrella. Blissfully quiet, I shared the room with nobody else during my entire workout, but as I turned to go and start heading towards the parking lot…
I spotted their little complementary table with three large canisters full of peanuts, trail mix, and peanut M&Ms just a few feet outside of the fitness center door — complete with a hundred plastic cups for anyone to fill with the goodies. With plenty of nuts and peanut butter at home, I easily skipped past the first two, but as a huge chocoholic…
I surprisingly walked away with only a teeny tiny handful of M&Ms!
It helped that I had this healthy strawberry banana bread waiting for me back at their house! Between the bananas and berries, it has plenty of naturally sweet fruit flavor. It’s also supremely moist and perfect for breakfasts, snacks, or whenever you’re craving a little something sweet…
Which is basically daily for me!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY STRAWBERRY BANANA BREAD
To make this easy strawberry banana bread, you’ll start with whole wheat flour. Yes, just regular whole wheat flour! You’re adding so much mashed banana to the batter that its natural sweetness masks any hint of “wheat-y” flavor and keeps the loaf exceptionally moist.
Tip: I’ve included my top gluten-free recommendations in the Notes section of the recipe, if you’d like to make this healthy strawberry banana bread gluten-free instead!
That’s right — exceptionally moist, despite just 1 tablespoon of coconut oil! The rest of its tender texture comes from the mashed banana, buttermilk, and Greek yogurt. If you’ve been around my blog for a while, you know just how much I love Greek yogurt! It adds the same moisture as extra oil or butter for a fraction of the calories, and it gives your baked treats a protein boost too.
Since I don’t regularly bake with buttermilk (I mainly use it for these biscuits, these waffles, and these pancakes!), I almost always end up with over half a carton left over… So instead, I often reach for powdered buttermilk! It’s shelf-stable and lasts for months, and it provides the same flavor and texture as the regular kind you’d buy from the refrigerator section. This is the one I use. I highly recommend it!
Tip: You can use that same powdered buttermilk to make all of these recipes of mine too!
As for the mashed banana, make sure you use the ripest and spottiest ones you have! Those yield a better fruit flavor and contain more natural sweetness, so you’ll only need to mix in a couple tablespoons of honey.
Tip: Bananas that are almost pure brown or black are ideal. They also add more moisture to your healthy banana bread, which gives it a softer and more tender texture.
When it comes to the strawberries, both fresh and frozen will work, although I prefer using fresh whenever possible. Make sure you cut them to be about the same size as chocolate chips to ensure the loaf bakes evenly — and that every bite contains a burst of sweet berry flavor!
Think you’ve found a home for those speckled bananas on your counter? 😉 And when you make your own, remember to snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #amyshealthybaking and tagging @amys.healthy.baking IN the photo itself! (That guarantees I’ll see your picture! 🙂 ) I’d love to see your healthy strawberry banana bread!
Healthy Strawberry Banana Bread
- 2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour or gluten-free* flour (measured like this)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp (7g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup (200g) mashed banana (about 2 medium – and see Notes!)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) honey
- ¼ cup (60mL) low-fat buttermilk (see Notes!)
- 1 cup (140g) whole fresh strawberries, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5” baking pan with foil, and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the mashed Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps remain. Mix in the mashed banana and honey. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.) Set aside 2 tablespoons of diced strawberries, and gently fold in rest.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and gently press the remaining diced strawberries on top. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully lifting out the loaf by the foil and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
View Nutrition Information + Weight Watchers Points
You may also like Amy’s other recipes…
♡ Healthy Blueberry Buttermilk Banana Bread
♡ Healthy Strawberry Blueberry Banana Bread
♡ Healthy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
♡ Healthy Raspberry Banana Bread
♡ Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Mini Muffins
♡ Healthy Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins
♡ Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
♡ Healthy Banana Oatmeal Snack Cake
♡ Healthy Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Cookies
♡ …and the rest of Amy’s healthy banana recipes!